Toro Zero turn quit while mowing. Please help.

HaiD

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower is Toro zero turn, model 74244 with 60inch mower deck. I have searched the forum for the similar problem but did not find any. It was mowing fine for about half an hour, then suddenly the mower just quit, dead. It would not restart. It was not overworked or overheated. I let it sit for a while and hopefully it would restart. All I got is a click probably from the solenoid. Both fuses are fine. I do not think it has anything with the starter because the mower quit while mowing. What should I look for? Whee to start? Please help. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would start with making sure your safety switches are still mounted properly, plugged in are there are no chaffed wires, including the brake, seat switch and steering levers. You can also spray them with WD 40 or contact cleaner and exercise them a bit. I don't know if the PTO wires coming loose would cause a no-run condition but no harm checking that too.

PS - if you have to push/pull/tow the machine be sure to release the hydros to prevent transmission damage. There should be a procedure for disengaging them in your operator's manual.

HaiD

Forum Newbie
Threads
It was the idler pulley that was broken, its bearing completely gone. It just sat on the deck and the belt was loose. The reason I had only a click when the switch was on and the started did not turn was because the PTO knob was up (engaged). Pushed it down, engine started with no problem. A new idler pulley was installed. The mower runs normally again. Thank you Darryl for your points on troubleshooting. Lucky for me that something was easy to see and not the electrical problem.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Glad you got it sorted out.