Hustler Raptor SD grass sticking to deck

bacchus

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the 2017 or 18(probably 18) raptor SD 54"
I know this has been discussed after digging around some but what is the official accepted fix for the grass buildup under the raptor's deck? Mine gets so much grass stuck to the bottom that once I park it in the shop after a week the shop STINKS with an ammonia smell because the grass stuck on the bottom of the mower is molding. I have tried cutting with the chute up...seems to help some...I changed the blades this season to the oregon hustler stock equivalents. I'm not sure what else there is ... i see some folks cutting the opening a tad bigger? what other tips tricks?

neetan

Threads
Hi,

Had the same problem with mine a last year, what I did was first clean it and gotten all the rust and gunch out, than I painted it twice with a good heavy metal paint times plus made sure it was dry each time with time to cure. After which I took a oil from the oil changes and coated it, This has reduced all the sticking problem, but now I oil it and clean it every 2-4 cuts. I hope this helps and bring some resolution to your problem.

Cheers, happy easter.

Neetan

I have the 2017 or 18(probably 18) raptor SD 54"
I know this has been discussed after digging around some but what is the official accepted fix for the grass buildup under the raptor's deck? Mine gets so much grass stuck to the bottom that once I park it in the shop after a week the shop STINKS with an ammonia smell because the grass stuck on the bottom of the mower is molding. I have tried cutting with the chute up...seems to help some...I changed the blades this season to the oregon hustler stock equivalents. I'm not sure what else there is ... i see some folks cutting the opening a tad bigger? what other tips tricks?

bacchus

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm seeing a kit to convert the deck to an open format....OEM Hustler 123349. Anyone seen/tried these yet? Is this to solve the problem with grass clogging? If so, i think they should do this under warranty!

mhavanti

Threads
bacchus,

Don't ruin your deck opening chute and weaken it. Draw a line a quarter to 5/16" up from the bottom of the enforcement bar from the front to the rear. Then cut the top portion of the enforcement bar off as shown in this video and that will entirely solve any and all problems you are having with your Raptor deck.

Add the HDPE grass catcher scallop block off plate, you'll never lower the rubber discharge chute deflector again.

Here is the video link:https://youtu.be/OUPaa8JoZJ8

Good luck,

Max