Troy-Bilt XP TB450 possibly flooding

BaneDaD

Forum Newbie
Threads
So this started on my last mow of last year, and i never looked at it again until late March this year. This mower is brand new, used less than 6 times. The incident was i did not think the "auto choke" function was working correctly. I had a full tank of gas, oil was within normal range, there was no debris or anything obstructing the blades, but the mower would not start. It would start to sputter, maybe last 2-3 seconds, and then die. In my novice opinion, it seemed like it was flooded. But even after leaving for hours/days, and trying again...same result. So i did some research earlier this year about it, and one of the things i found was a contaminated fuel system. Not ruling anything out at this point i decided to give it a try. I emptied the tank, drained the line and carburetor. I left it opened for most of a nice warm sunny day to completely dry out. Then yesterday, i got fresh fuel, filled the tank, gave it a try....started right up!!! I was in business. I let it run for a few minutes before i tried mowing just to ensure the gas had made it all the way through the process. I got probably 75% of my front yard mowed with no symptoms at all. Then out of nowhere...dies. My grass was a bit taller than i should have let it, but i took it back over to the drive way and tried starting it. It is back to doing the same thing again...

Does anyone have any ideas of what i can try or what i can look for to help figure this problem out? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
purchase a small bottle of name brand fuel treatment from walmart or local auto parts store read label & add specified ounces to empty gas can then purchase high test gas & fill gas can & give it a try, let us know how it goes.

BaneDaD

Forum Newbie
Threads
@Mechanic Mark,
So i did as you suggested. Drained the tank and carb again. Added the fuel treatment, filled it up. After 3 pulls, started right up! I left it running for a few minutes, no issues. I started mowing what was left of my front yard, and then...you guessed it. It died again. Left it overnight, went back to it the next day. It would try to start, or start for 2-3 seconds, and then die. What should i try now?

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
purchase a small bottle of name brand fuel treatment from walmart or local auto parts store read label & add specified ounces to empty gas can then purchase high test gas & fill gas can & give it a try, let us know how it goes.

replace fuel filter & check air filter for replacement

BaneDaD

Forum Newbie
Threads
So i am unable to find a fuel filter on this mower. The air filter looks in great condition. Slightly dirty, but not bad by any means. I drained the tank, took the fuel line off, and emptied the carb. I am still not finding a fuel filter. I am trying to get a hold of troybilt to see if they can help me locate it currently. I will update as soon as i find out.

Thanks for the help so far.

--UPDATE--
Troy-Bilt got back to me on this...my mower does not have a fuel filter... How is that is a thing?

Last edited: