Mower
    John Deere

Turns Over But No Start

I recently picked up a John Deere Z445 Zero Turn with a 27hp Briggs and Stratt engine from a buddy of mine who didn't want it anymore for $300. Engine Model 44Q9 77 0119 G5. Said while he was mowing with it that it made a loud pop noise and then stopped working. He was able to drive it back into the the garage and then it shut off and wouldn't turn back on. When you turn the key on the engine spins but sounds like it's not building and compression at all. It has 157 hours on it. Any advice on what it could possibly be or what I should check first to narrow it down? Like a checklist or something? Any advice and help would be much appreciated.

Mower
    Dixon

Re: Turns Over But No Start

Well first thing I would do is remove the valve covers and check rocker arm, push rod and valve position and action. Probably problem here, push rods off, missing. IF all appears OK here, remove the spark plugs, use a dowel rod or screw driver (be careful) stick it in plug hole, turn flywheel and see if pistons are moving.

Report findings back here. I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
    wconner5 at frontier dot com

Mower
    John Deere

Re: Turns Over But No Start

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerer200 View Post
    Well first thing I would do is remove the valve covers and check rocker arm, push rod and valve position and action. Probably problem here, push rods off, missing. IF all appears OK here, remove the spark plugs, use a dowel rod or screw driver (be careful) stick it in plug hole, turn flywheel and see if pistons are moving.

Report findings back here. I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
    wconner5 at frontier dot com
    Thanks. I will report back as soon as I check them out. Also sent you my info for a Service Manual.