Turns Over But No Start

PearlWhiteGT

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently picked up a John Deere Z445 Zero Turn with a 27hp Briggs and Stratt engine from a buddy of mine who didn't want it anymore for $300. Engine Model 44Q9 77 0119 G5. Said while he was mowing with it that it made a loud pop noise and then stopped working. He was able to drive it back into the the garage and then it shut off and wouldn't turn back on. When you turn the key on the engine spins but sounds like it's not building and compression at all. It has 157 hours on it. Any advice on what it could possibly be or what I should check first to narrow it down? Like a checklist or something? Any advice and help would be much appreciated.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Well first thing I would do is remove the valve covers and check rocker arm, push rod and valve position and action. Probably problem here, push rods off, missing. IF all appears OK here, remove the spark plugs, use a dowel rod or screw driver (be careful) stick it in plug hole, turn flywheel and see if pistons are moving.

Report findings back here. I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

PearlWhiteGT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well first thing I would do is remove the valve covers and check rocker arm, push rod and valve position and action. Probably problem here, push rods off, missing. IF all appears OK here, remove the spark plugs, use a dowel rod or screw driver (be careful) stick it in plug hole, turn flywheel and see if pistons are moving.

Report findings back here. I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner

Thanks. I will report back as soon as I check them out. Also sent you my info for a Service Manual.

PearlWhiteGT

Forum Newbie
Threads

Walt Conner

After all these checks the valve train looked to be working normal but when we removed the spark plugs to check for piston movement we had none in both cylinders. Tried a few different times with a screwdriver in the plug hole and the pistons were not moving at all. Could it be both rods are broken or something else?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Sure sounds like it to me. Never heard of 2 rods going out at once, but possible.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Sure sounds like it to me. Never heard of 2 rods going out at once, but possible.

May have been just running on one cylinder for some time then second one let go. If both rods broke that is going to be expensive fix. Probably can get good used engine cheaper. Crankshaft probably damaged, rods, about $40 each, rings about $40 per cylinder, sump gasket $30 plus other gaskets. Governor assembly needs examined with special attention to the governor spindle shaft. Cracked block?

Walt Conner