Looking for Toro Super Recycler 20382 Owners

cruzenmike

Threads
Hello all. I had already posted a while back regarding which mower to buy, a Honda HRX or Timemaster. I had pretty much made up my mind on the HRX as I am not too confident of the transmission durability of the Timemaster. I then got onto the trail of the old Toro Commercial 21 which is sadly no longer available. As the grass starts to get green I am now in a big hurry to get a new push mower and I have just pitted the new 2019 HRX against the Toro Super Recycler, specifically the 20382 with the Honda engine. Certainly not an apples to apples comparison, but I want the Honda engine and the ability to side discharge if I please. If anyone has any experience with or owns the 20382 that can share their experiences I would greatly appreciate it. Even better if said users have used both the 20382 and the HRX to provide some pros and cons. Thank you all in advance.

I have included a picture of the back yard; not looking too bad!

Spring Green 2019.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Might want to take a look at this thread. It might answer some of your questions. I put in a bad link, will try posting again.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to the Toro/Wheelhorse forum and find a thread about Toro differences. It might be of some help. I can’t get a link to work properly.

cruzenmike

Threads
Rivets,

Thanks for the link. I just read through it again as I had actually posted a reply. I actually had a chance to go down to the dealer today and looked at both the HRX (all models) and the Super Recyclers, of which they had the 20381 and 20382. I made a couple of observations about the HRX while I was there:

1) The mower seems as solid as I remember it (from my old HRX217K4VKA)
2) The new engine looks nice, but I am sure it runs even better than the old 190
3) I read somewhere where another user commented on the awkward hand position of the hydrostatic models where your hands pretty much need to be squeezed to the center of the handle and this appears to be true
4) There is a significant amount of drag when pulling back on the mower. I did not believe others who had stated this as my old one did not but the new one did. In fact, all models of Honda mowers including the HRR lineup had significant drag when pulling backwards.

I also made a couple of observations about the Super Recyclers too:

1) The mower certainly rolls a lot easier in forward and when pulling back.
2) The front wheel adjusters definitely stick up very far. While I am not concerned about them catching on anything in my yard, they are an eyesore.
3) The Personal Pace system looks nice, but it just seems so un-natural to me. The Lawn Care Nut talks about how personal pace is more "leisurely" in which it very well could be, but considering the fact that I would be mowing a large piece of land, I am okay with the self propelled pulling me along.
4) The Toro does appear to have a nice setup for the discharge and mulch options. I like that the plug, although not as convenient as the selector on the Honda, it is positioned and then locked. Also, the side chute cover locks in place as well.
5) It appears as if the wheels on the Toro do not use bearings and instead use bushings. Not a huge deal, but long term I see this being an issue for me with as much as I could be using it.
6) While I gravitate towards the Toro mostly for the cut quality and the ability to side discharge, I see that there is a separate bagging blade that they offer. I would assume that if I was to side discharge I would want that blade on as well. So in order to get the best of all three mowing options, I will still have to change the blade here and there.

So, I feel as if I am in no better position now to buy than I was yesterday as I hope to make my purchase and stick with it for some time. At this moment the Toro is about $80 cheaper than the Honda considering the sale and some financing offers through my Toro card. I could have taken 10% off of the HRX today through the Home Depot but couldn't make up my mind which would have certainly closed that gap off.

cruzenmike

Threads
Ended up getting the Honda HRX. I knew that no matter what I did I wanted the Honda engine and at the end of the day I was paying about the same price for the HRX as the Toro with a longer warranty, better financing and a more powerful machine.