B&S Plastic carbs, trouble?

rigoletto

Threads
People,

Have a new push mower, MTD with a B&S engine, and this carb:

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-and-S...ocphy=1015197&hvtargid=pla-356374369100&psc=1

After only one year the mower would not start. Yes, it had been siting over the winter, say, 4 months or so. Im taking apart this carb to clean it out to see if thats the culprit, which Im about 99% sure of. What is your opinion on these carbs? Do they gunk up that quickly? Reliability? Plastic junk? I have a 25+ year old Murray that starts up every time after winter. Cleaned carb maybe just 5 times in 25 years.

Thanks.

bogdaN

Threads
Just work on one that was leaking fuel.When I open up found float bent out of shape ( Plastic),replaced and that was fix.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It has been my experience that 75% of the time I have to drain the water from the carb and tank. 15% of the time have to drain the carb and tank due to using last weeks gas from the pump( meaning the fuel will run every piece of equipment except the new EPA OHV Briggs engine built since 2015) and the other 10% of time is due to dirt in the jets in the carb. The other good news is the thing don't corrode which is the downfall of a lot of other carbs exposed to the water inducing ethanol fuels.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah these carbs are cheap and junky, but easy to disassemble and clean. Take it apart and clean it.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I just noticed in that amazon link, BOY THAT LIMITED EDITION CARB LOOKS GOOD! i bet my mower would run better with it on their
:laughing::laughing::laughing: