Toro hard starting, then runs good, then intermitent stalling & wont restart

Normstorm

Threads
  • / Toro hard starting, then runs good, then intermitent stalling & wont restart
Hi all,

Thought I got a great deal on C List for once but.....Toro Recycler 22 with electric start. model 20374. Seems a little slow to fire up when cold. Runs good, seems powerfull, good cut and bagging. Probably mowed for 20-30

minutes then would not start. Or it would take a long time to start then run for a short while and die again. Let it charge overnight then mowed some more today. Same things happened.

Came across this forum and now I see "Toro" engine is China made and possibly has leaky carb. problems? Engine# 1P65F-2 "TXP 159cc"

Oil Fine, Fresh gas but dont know about previous owners use/maint. Clean filter. Seems like if it had a sheared flywheel key it would run lousy but it seems powerfull and sounds normal to me.

Where would you start if troubleshooting? Seems like if the carb was gummed up it wouldn't run as well as it does (for awhile) am I wrong? Should I assume its bad gas and try cleaning carb? Or would you start with something else?

Seems like not old enough for "lamination" magneto spark maker to go bad?

Thanks for any help to get this thing working properly.

bogdaN

Threads
  • / Toro hard starting, then runs good, then intermitent stalling & wont restart
I would suggest to start checking spark.Tester that U put in line will show the problem.

Normstorm

Threads
Thanks! Never heard of this tool but ordered a "Lisle" and should arrive tomorrow.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
not the best one to use as it glows white
The oregon red tube is the easiest to use.
I buy them by the dozen as I am forever leaving on customers mowers.
In fact , just used one a hour ago to diagnose a dead coil on a Stihl trimmer.
Customer was sure they saw a spark with the plug out & grounded but it was just a reflection.

Normstorm

Threads
Thanks for help. This Toro is still "down" but I was able to fix my neighbors 2007 Toro recycler AND my old Honda with gcv 160 just by replacing the ignition coils. Both run like new now!. I would have bet on problem being bad gas & clogged carbs but you were spot on to check spark.