My lawn is a disaster

anthony21078

Forum Newbie
Threads
Moved into a new home last June and the front and back yards were in semi-decent shape but they need a lot of help. I wasn't able to tackle this project in the fall when I should have but I would like to attempt to correct the yard in the next 2 weeks.

Ideally I wanted to use a sod cutter and remove everything to start from scratch. I don't have the ability to to dump all the material so I'm hoping there's an alternative to grow a respectable lawn. I'm not looking for a golf course but rather a respectable green lawn. There are quite a few areas along the fence that are heavily shaded. This is what I came up with so please tell me if this would work.

1)Spraying the problem spots with RoundUp for Lawns to hopefully take care of the weeds/dandelions. Ive never used this stuff but I figure its worth a shot since I will be re-seeding the whole yard. Was planning on spraying tomorrow to get the ball rolling

2)Aerate entire yard

3)Add a layer of topsoil to entire yard and fill in uneven spots

4)Over-seeding entire yard. I would like to use Jonathon green grass but not sure which type to get. Fall Magic and Dense shade mixture. Opinions?

5)Starter fertilizer on top

6)Water 2-3x a day

peggking23

Forum Newbie
Threads
From the pictures, it is evident your lawn need lots of work. It has dead patches, weeds and brown turf. I think you should start with weed removal. Thereafter, spray fertilizers on problem areas. You can also aerate the lawn. Don't go for overseeding. It does not promote a healthy grass growth. Water at 5 am in the morning for faster growth. After few weeks, make sure to mow the lawn frequently. These steps will ensure a lush lawn within few weeks!