6 month old briggs and stratton 6.5 hp will not start (surprise, I know)

radmat

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 6 month old briggs and stratton 6.5 hp will not start (surprise, I know)
Late last season my trusty Honda powered Yardman mower finally gave up the ghost after 15 years of service.

I needed a new mower, but it was fall and the pickings were slim.

I bought the last Troy-bilt self-propelled unit the local stores had. Against my better judgement, as it was a Briggs powered mower.

It ran quite well for the few mowings left before winter. I ran it dry and put it up for the season.

Last weekend, I decided to unlimber my shiny new machine. Put fresh fuel in it and fired it up. Started after a few pulls.

It ran for all of 5 minutes and shut off. It has yet to fire back up.

I drained the tanks, bought anopther can of gas and filled it back up. Tried several times to start it, nothing, not even an angry sounding fart so far.

I drained it again, pulled the carb and drained it, blew it out with cir. Pulled and cleaned the spark plug. Refilled it with clean, new gas.

Pulled the cord several more times. Nothing.

Any ideas? I'm perplexed. This thing is showroom new. I haven't even finished paying for it yet.

I hate these engines. I may just replace it with another Honda engine.

I'm so mad right now, I could eat fried chicken.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cleaned the plug ?
The only way to actually clean a modern plug is to burn the reside off.
Try a nice new spark plug.
Modern fuels are conductive at combustion pressures so they tend to put a deposit on the plug which allows the spark to dribble down the electrode rather than jumping the gap

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
What's the warranty on a Troy-bilt? I wouldn't go any further than you already have at this point. Full of oil? Did you see spark with the plug out and grounded?

Oaken

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you getting spark? Will it run on starter fluid?

Lawn Addict
Threads
From what I've heard hondas are not the top gun anymore... Just saying.

Mkala

Threads
They are Good Briggs, they are Cheap Briggs, same for Honda and others. You can't get top engine, double bearing, cast iron sleave, USA or EU assembled for cheap - that's it.

I'm sure we can get it running. But instead coming here, ranting in one post and do not follow up, post your problems (even if you are disappointed, we can all be) and try great advices of some members here ;)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Apart from general things like checking the choke , if fitted is fully closing there is little we can tell you without some more information from you.
In particular the full engine number.
6.5Hp means nothing to a service tech apart from the engine is probably on a push mower.
Modern EPA requirements make all engines a lot more finnacy about starting than they were 10,1 or 20 years ago when you could flood or choke an engine to start it.
Basically the EPA is hell bent on forcing every one to use electric mowers but rather than do it honestly and pass legislation that as of x date all new mower must be electric they just keep raising the emission bar to a level that petrol engines can not attain without complex electronic fuel injection.

A jet engine tosses somewhere from 50 gallons to 200 gallons of Jet A1 right out the exhaust every time it takes off but apparently that is good for the enviroment where as 0.001oz of unburned fuel out of a mower will extinguish all life on the planet.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Unless the engine is a Vanguard, I bet it says 650 series on the blower housing and the OP things that is the HP which is reality is 6.5 lb/ft torque rating. Which makes it closer to about 3.5-4 HP. Then add in the fact that fuel that will start and run in every other piece of equipment that he owns will not even pop in that engine.

Every time one of the new briggs OHV push engines comes in with a no start the first thing that happens is the fuel gets dumped and the carb drained and new fuel put into the system.