CV16 Help

mulder75

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older Craftsman rider with a Kohler CV16 motor. The motor was surging a lot last year. When I started it up this year, it was surging and would only run for about a minute then die. I purchased a new spark plug, spark advance module, ignition module. Installed all of these and followed the owner's manual on adjusting the governor. I had a hard time getting the spring to go into the hole I wanted, so I just clipped it on the arm and tested it. It started right up and had stopped surging. So I finally finagled the spring into the hole, put all the covers back on, and voila! The starter will not spin or engage. It will spin and engage if I "jumper" the starter from the battery, but will not start (this may because I did not have the clutch pushed in). So what did I do wrong that caused the starter to quit responding to the key?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are right.
The engine will not crank unless the parking brake ( same pedal as clutch ) is on and PTO is off.

mulder75

Forum Newbie
Threads
You are right.
The engine will not crank unless the parking brake ( same pedal as clutch ) is on and PTO is off.

LOL! I'm so dumb. The positive battery cable was loose. That's why the starter would not engage. But here's an oddity: The throttle doesn't change any from the run position down to the lowest position. It does change moving it up into the choke area, but not down.