Traction Problem

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Turning technique probably has as much effect on tearing up the yard as tire type.

Don't pivot on a tire. If you have to turn tight, spin around the mower's vertical axis, i.e., one wheel going forward and the other in reverse.

Rob89

Threads
Turning technique probably has as much effect on tearing up the yard as tire type.

Don't pivot on a tire. If you have to turn tight, spin around the mower's vertical axis, i.e., one wheel going forward and the other in reverse.

I am getting better at that. This is my first zero turn and I have about 4.5 hours on it so I am still a rookie however I am definitely starting to get the hang of it. I do tend to pivot more on the inside tire that is in reverse and am conscious about needing to have the opposite tire going forward. the first 1-2 hours of operation I put some nice divots in the lawn but each time I mow I get better at it.

The side of the front yard I am having the traction issue is the steeper of the 2 sides. I am mowing diagonally to the incline and she seems to be pretty stable going in a straight line but when I need to go around trees is when I cant keep the wheels from spinning. I don't want to tear up the grass but more importantly I don't want to end up in the ditch at the bottom!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am getting better at that. This is my first zero turn and I have about 4.5 hours on it so I am still a rookie however I am definitely starting to get the hang of it. I do tend to pivot more on the inside tire that is in reverse and am conscious about needing to have the opposite tire going forward. the first 1-2 hours of operation I put some nice divots in the lawn but each time I mow I get better at it.

The side of the front yard I am having the traction issue is the steeper of the 2 sides. I am mowing diagonally to the incline and she seems to be pretty stable going in a straight line but when I need to go around trees is when I cant keep the wheels from spinning. I don't want to tear up the grass but more importantly I don't want to end up in the ditch at the bottom!
How are you going around these trees? In a circle? If so, that's your problem. You never want the front of the mower pointing downhill on substantial slopes. That puts most of the weight on the front caster wheels that you have no control of and off the rear wheels that you depend on for traction and control.

Try breaking the tree mowing into half circles and going backwards if necessary to keep the weight on the rear wheels and so that you're not pointing your discharge into the trees where debris can bounce off of them and hit you. And go slowly and smoothly. Painfully slow if necessary to maintain traction and control. There's always the possibility of cutting in around the trees with a walk-behind mower or a string trimmer too.

Edit: Here, notice how he keeps the weight on the rear wheels at all times, going backwards as necessary to do so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl1DpLEyH6c

Last edited:

Rob89

Threads
Thanks for the video- the was extremely helpful and I will try that next time.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the video- the was extremely helpful and I will try that next time.

Welcome. Zero-turn mowers are a different animal and require different techniques. It's not the best instructional video since you can't hear him over the mower but it demonstrates the technique regardless. Had he turned downhill at the end of his left to right passes he risked the possibility of losing control and ending up under the mower in the water. Not good.

Rob89

Threads
Are you doing any better on slopes now?

Yes I am- thanks for asking! As I get more comfortable on the new mower, and driving a zero turn in general, I am learning that it is easier to go down into the swale from the street and power up the slope head on from the bottom of the swale. I am not having any traction concerns doing this and she seems to have plenty of horsepower to power me up from the bottom of the swale. The hyrdos whine slightly when I first start up from the bottom but I don't feel as though I am overworking them.

Most importantly- I have full control doing it this way and it feels stable with all the weight on the rear wheels.