Traction Problem

Rob89

Threads
Hey guys-

I bought my new Bobcat CRZ 52" a couple months ago and have used it a few times by now and am getting more and more comfortable with it each time I use it. I'm finding myself with a traction problem in part of my front yard. My front yard is split into two by my driveway. On one side there is no issue with traction but on the other side I cant seem to keep my rear tires planted. I'm slipping and sliding around trees and turns. This is on dry grass that has not been rained on in at least 3 days. The rear tires are at the manufacturer recommended PSI (12 if memory serves) but I just cant get them to stick. I also have a slope on that side of the yard which makes traction all the more important. Any tips or advice?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If your mower is a Rigid frame mower, they can only put 3 out of 4 tires in contact with ground that isn't perfectly flat. But one of the rear tires will always be in contact. If one wheel spins, do something with the other to get the mower moving again.

Keep ALL the tires inflated properly.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Best advice I can give is to be conscious of keeping as much weight as possible on your rear wheels and adjust your mowing and turning pattern to accomplish that.

P.S. - As others have suggested, different tires would help with traction. The Zero-T tires on Bob-Cat mowers have poor traction in my opinion and the treads clear poorly. They're actually pretty good going across a slope but lousy going up/down them.

Last edited:

DK35vince

Threads
The best way to solve that problem is get rid of the turf tires, and replace them with a set of bar tires.
The difference in traction on hills is HUGE. (I went with Chevron AT 101)
I should have done this years ago.

Attachments

• HPIM1661.JPG
    HPIM1661.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM1660.JPG
    HPIM1660.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 9

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Depending on the actual size of the tires there are ATV tires that are much better than the turf savers but not quite as aggressive as the bar type. But on a ZT machine that will take some practice to get used to the different traction characteristics.

Threads
Those bar tires will rip the lawn up if wet. Calcium Chloride inside the turf tire is a better option.

DK35vince

Threads
Those bar tires will rip the lawn up if wet. Calcium Chloride inside the turf tire is a better option.
I went from an 850 LB zero turn with crappy traction with turfs, to a 1600 LB zero turn.
Nearly double the weight and it still got crap for traction with the turfs.
I'll stick with my bar tires.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

Adding weight to the rear of my Bob-Cat mostly solved my traction problems, but in the form of the rear bagger unit.

Rob89

Threads
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. My fear with the bar tires is tearing the lawn up. I'm in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in NC and it is very wet here. I try to only mow when there has been no rain for at least 2 consecutive days prior to mowing day but even then the ground is very soft and is easily torn up.

Do you think I'd gain anything by dropping the air pressure in my rear tires a couple more PSI?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
10 PSI may help and is still enough to make sure you'll keep the tires from rolling off the rims on side slopes. Personally I wouldn't go lower than that. Keep in mind it will change your deck pitch. No need to adjust the pitch to test and see if it helps, but you will want to adjust if you keep them at 10.

Some mowers add a rear weight plate such as my Exmark. Don't know if you can fabricate something to add weight there.