Advice? Engine Turns 1 Time, Then Halts

michaelnewsomejr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I went out to start my mower for the 1st time this season, and the tractor never actually starts. When I turn the key, it will spin 1 or 2 revolutions, then stops.

If I take the spark plug off, then it will turn (but of course not start). If I put the plugs back on, it does back to 1 or 2 turns, then engine stops trying to crank.

It has been inside a garage all winter, so it shouldn't have taken on water. But what I am finding is suggesting that it may be compression issues? Is there a fix to try? Time to see if it's covered by warranty (tractor is 1 year old)? Any help is appreciated.

NorthBama

Threads
first thing the guys here will ask for is engine model number

michaelnewsomejr

Forum Newbie
Threads
first thing the guys here will ask for is engine model number

Ah, thanks. It's Husqvarna model YTH22V46 with the Briggs & Stratton Intek 22HP engine.

I don't see the model number listed or etched anywhere, but there is a QR Code on the side. When I scan that, it takes me to model 44N677-0005-G1 Briggs & Stratton Intek V-Twin.

Russ2251

Threads
Try the basics first.
Is the battery fully charged?

michaelnewsomejr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try the basics first.
Is the battery fully charged?

Yea, battery is reading 12.1v on my meter, and fresh gas and oil. When I took the plugs out to confirm it would spin without the plugs, the looked fine. I also removed gas lines and replaced, to confirm there weren't any clogs ... gas was flowing fine through the lines.

May be worth noting, it has never started on the first couple cranks. It usually takes it 5-10 minutes or petting on it and loving it to get it working. Today's saga began just exactly like that, with me giving it 10-15 minute breaks between working with it for 5-10 minutes. After about round 3, that is when it started doing the 1 or 2 spins, then coming to a complete halt.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
12.1 volts is actually low and not enough to start most mowers. It should be in the 12.5 to 13 volt range. There are six 2.2 volt cells in a 12 volt battery.

I recommend charging or replacing the battery.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Battery is weak, before we even start....

michaelnewsomejr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ah. I knew it should be at 12.5 or so, but thought anything over 12 was enough to turn it over? It's stickered March 2018, but I'm guessing the battery from the factory doesn't have as long of a life as you could expect from a new battery off the shelf?

I haven't charged it before, so I will give that a shot tomorrow. If not, then I will replace the air filter and pick up a new battery.

Looking and see Everstart has one that matches everything in there (12v, 230 cca) for $20 at walmart, or lowes has a 12v 300cca for $45. I'll pick up one of those are report back ... hopefully with good news. :laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Charge the battery overnight
In the mean time pull both the rocker covers off and check the valve lash.
Should be around 0.004"
If it is larger than 0.010 the ACR gets defeated and the starters on these engines do not have the balls to overcome full compression so it cranks till TDC on the stronger cylinder then hangs.

dfbroxy

Threads
Sorry to step on your toes burt, but along with all of that he might want to check his choke for starting purposes if you could walk him through it. It seems as if that is getting to be a problem with a lot of box store new mowers.