Blades only engage for a second then stop

SSilk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I bought a new Troy-bilt Super Bronco 50 xp from Lowe's last year. Replaced my old Craftsman and I was super happy with it - until today.
At the end of the season last year I had noticed once or twice where, while cutting, the blades just dis-engaged. I didn't think much of it, re-engaged and finished cutting.
I prep'd the tractor for winter and store it in a shed.
Pulled it out the other day and cut for just a few minutes and the blades disengaged again.
After a couple of tries I parked it, since grass didn't need to be cut.
Yesterday, went to cut and initially the blades engaged fine - a 1 minute later the disengaged. I reengaged and they ran for about 30 second then stopped. It was late so I parked it.
Today - starts and runs fine but when I pull the PTO the blade engage but for about 1-2 rotation then they stop.
Under deck is clean and all blades seem to turn easy enough by hand. Tensioner spring is still intact and tensioner pulley moves without binding.
Don't think it is the safety switch in the seat since they engage for a second and I'd think if it was teh safety switch they wouldn't engage at all.
Suggest or thoughts on what I should be checking ?

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check your battery voltage. Low voltage and a charging system which is not working properly could be your problem. You need a minimum of 12V to keep the clutch engaged. If it is only a year old, I suggest you see a repair shop, as it is still under warranty.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd take a look at the wiring connector at the electric clutch under there, look for signs it has been hot. Unplug and reconnect, see if it works for a while. That's about it without spending money or a trip to the shop. The warranty deal sounds best at this point.

SSilk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks all.
I did check the battery and it was 12v.
I also think there is a short somewhere but since there is a warranty I'm heading to the shop with it.
Once I find out what it is I'll post what they found.

SSilk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well ..... I'd love to report that all is well and good but.....
I went to Lowe's, since that is where I purchased the mower, to ask if maybe they'd have a loaner I could use since I have approx. 3 acres of rolling hill grass to cut. They politely told me no but said if I was having a problem with the mower bring it to them and they'd make sure it was taken car of.
I dropped the mower off April 16th and they told me they'd send it right out for repairs and I should hear from the shop in a couple days.
9 days later when I didn't hear anything I called Lowe's and the woman informed me that she had been "out" and that my mower was still there but since it was Thursday - which is their day to ship repairs out - she'd make sure it was sent.
Fed up I called Lowe's corporate, they told me the store manager would get in touch within 24 hours.
We played phone tag but when we finally touched base that Thursday she told me that my mower was still at Lowe's but would be sent out today.
Just short of a month and I still have no mower nor any word as to what is wrong with mine.
Asked if they'd give me a store credit for the amount of the tractor and I'd buy a new one - they said they couldn't - bought the Troy Bilt over 90 days ago.
I've been cutting 3 acres of hills with a 21" push mower (non-self propelled). Lowe's gave me $200 in cash and told me to hire someone to cut it. That would cover 1 cut in a month.
I'm tempted to let my grass grow and then use the fine 21" push mower to crave "Lowe's Sucks" into the weeds :)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just another reason why I always recommend buying from a dealer. Surprised that you got $200 from Lowe’s.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Double ditto on that.
I keep around 1/2 dozen old tractors that get loaned out when I get a repair that is going to take a long time.
Customer service is never part of the flog them cheap business plan.
And stores like Lowes are the prime reason why modern residential mowers are trash.
They can force factories to drop prices to a level that is unprofitable without downgrading the mower.

SSilk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just received the mower back today. They lost my key but gave me a replacement. Paperwork stated that there was a $174 charge but store manager wrote no charge.

Tech wrote :Found rod pulled out causing unit not to engage. Placed rod in correct place, tested to spec.
I have no idea what rod they are talking about but blades engage now and mower cuts fine. Wondering if this may have been something done wrong when they originally assembled the mower at Lowes ?

Happy to have it back.