All of a Sudden, No Forward or Reverse?

Wombat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey All,

New to the lawn tractor world. I was gifted a Wheel Horse 268-H and ran into a problem. I was mowing on a straightaway when out of nowhere, the mower stopped moving forward. (Hydrostatic trans) Reverse would not work either. There were no strange noises and I hadn't hit any roots/tree debris. The engine works with no issue and runs fine.

I decided to pull the tractor with my vehicle to get it back to my home. I tried using the bypass rod to allow me to push the tractor but it would not engage. (Or is it disengage?) That was the first time I tried pushing the mower so I'm not sure if it hadn't worked in the past. The only way to move the tractor was to put my foot on the pedal as if I was driving forward. Otherwise, it would not move.

My first idea is that it's the drive belt. But I'm also wondering if the bypass rod could be the issue? Being new, I wasn't sure what would be the easiest things to eliminate first before changing/checking the belt.

All ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the belt and tensioner first. Much easier than trying to diagnose disengagement rod.