Hrc216 transmission repair guide?

mikeypizano

Threads
I have a bent driveshaft on my HRC216k3hxa, I plan to replace it with one from a parts donor machine, with leaking seals that need to be fixed, but it has 1000 hours on it, Sonia was planning to fix the new one later.

How hard is it to replace just the main driveshaft?

tadawson

Threads
GXV160 right? Should be the same as on my HR215 . . . two spring clips to slide back revealing two loose fit pins to remove, and slide it off. Put the new one on, insert the pins, and captivate with the clips. I'd wager it might take longer to remove the drive shaft cover than to replace the shaft itself. Only tools needed being a socket to fit the cover bolt, and a pair of needle node pliers for the clips/pins . . .

Or are you actually referring to the axle? That one is a pain, and likely requires a transmission teardown. What Honda calls the 'drive shaft' (and what I discussed above) is the short shaft from the engine PTO to the transmission. If it's the axle on a hydro, I've not touched one . . . the three speed geared trans wasn't bad, but the axle goes all the way through it with an internal pin holding it in place . . .

mikeypizano

Threads
GXV160 right? Should be the same as on my HR215 . . . two spring clips to slide back revealing two loose fit pins to remove, and slide it off. Put the new one on, insert the pins, and captivate with the clips. I'd wager it might take longer to remove the drive shaft cover than to replace the shaft itself. Only tools needed being a socket to fit the cover bolt, and a pair of needle node pliers for the clips/pins . . .

Or are you actually referring to the axle? That one is a pain, and likely requires a transmission teardown. What Honda calls the 'drive shaft' (and what I discussed above) is the short shaft from the engine PTO to the transmission. If it's the axle on a hydro, I've not touched one . . . the three speed geared trans wasn't bad, but the axle goes all the way through it with an internal pin holding it in place . . .

Sadly, it is the transmission full shaft... :(

tadawson

Threads
"transmission full shaft" . . . sorry, but I have no idea what you referring to. Do you mean the axle that the wheels mount to, and which goes through the transmission? For that, I'd pony up the $$$ and buy the full shop manual from Honda (or perhaps you can borrow a copy).

And is it a hydro or geared (3 speed?) transmission?

mikeypizano

Threads
Yeah, the shaft where the wheels are mounted. It is a hydro transmission.

tadawson

Threads
Looking at the parts breakdown for that trans, you will def. need to open it, but it looks like all the hydro motors ride on a separate shaft with a final reduction gear to the axle, so takedown does not look too bad. That axle isn't particularly cheap, though . . . .

Should be doable if you have decent mechanical skills, and the Honda docs can be bought online, and the mower manual covers everything (engine included . . . learned that the hard way) so money well spent if you plan to keep the mower.

mikeypizano

Threads
Ended up opening it, and swapped the final shaft over and all seems to work!