YTS3000 won't turn over unless light switch is 'on'

damianinpa

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've had this issue for years and have just lived with it, but, I'm curious if anyone has heard of this. My tractor will not crank with the key ignition if my light switch is 'off'. When I turn to the on position then I can start it. Also, my lights don't work at all. Many years ago I replaced the bulbs, but, that wasn't the cause. Occasionally, when I turn off the tractor I see the lights flash. There is a ghost in my tractor I guess. LOL I know I replaced a fuse at some point. Maybe even the light switch, but, can't remember. I'm going to do that next, but, anyone have any ideas. It is pretty bizarre! Seems like electrical issue, but, not sure where to start.
Damian

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like your unit is wired incorrectly. Someone has wired the light switch before the key switch. If I’m correct not a hard fix. Small wire coming from the large terminal on the solenoid should go to the B terminal on the key switch. The wire from the light switch should be on the L or A terminal on the key switch. If you can give us the model number under the seat, we’ll see if we can find a wiring diagram for you.

damianinpa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model number is 917.289210

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
[h=1]Go to “ Sears Parts Direct” and put in your model number. You will be able to get a parts manual with a wiring diagram in it. It may not come up as the same model, but most Craftsman tractors are wired the same.[/h]

damianinpa

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the wiring diagram. So, are you saying I need to pop out the key ignition switch and see if the wiring is correct there? Sorry, never worked on these before so I'm a little unclear.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, you may have to pop the switch out. Another thought came to mind last night. Is it possible that someone could have replaced the switch at one time? This will also mean removing the switch to check. If they did, they may have used the wrong switch, which would mean the plug is connected to the wrong terminals. This type of electrical problem could easily make one bald, as it will take patience and a good test light, with an assistant to solve. Good Luck and post back if you need more help.