HRX217HYA No start

joeangi

Threads
Hello everyone, new member here...at wits end. Mower worked great all last season, wanted to run it "one last time" in the fall, but it was high 40's/ low 50's and I could not get it to start...killed my shoulder trying. Put it away for the winter, figuring some warmer weather would help it, as it ran fine the week before. Gas stabilized before storing.

Warmer weather arrives..still no start (not even a pop). Check plug, looks good, sparks well when pulled over. Drain fuel tank and purchase new fuel, still nothing. Tear apart carb and check/ clean. No sediment, carb very clean. Re-assemble and still can't get anything. Spray starting fluid, and mower wants to fire and rip my arm off, but will not turn over and run. Checked oil, as I know there is a low oil sensor. Oil fresh and full. I am thinking it is in the linkage somehow...even though it went away working fine. I did apply a heat gun to the wax choke, and the rod did extend nicely. I have been working on this too long, and am getting very frustrated...did I miss anything? Any hints or tips to try?

Thanks for any advice you can lend.

tadawson

Threads
Verified fuel on and flowing to the carb, no collapsed line or gunked in-tank filter?

If that's good, I'd suggest that your carb cleaning didn't get everything . . . Is the plug getting wet with fuel?

joeangi

Threads
I drained the tank with the hose to the carb, and fuel was flowing well.

Carb was cleaned well. Brass pipe had a wire pushed through the holes, carb cleaner sprayed through. Needle was clean and smooth...might I be missing a passage? Don't think the plug was overly wet, sure feels like it is not getting fuel. Linkage adjustment?

Thanks for the reply,
Joe

trekgod3

Threads
Not to sound like a jerk, but is the fuel valve open? I shut mine off and run the mower until it stops before storing it. It's an easy thing to overlook.

joeangi

Threads
Valve is open....I really feel like I am missing something small/ stupid at this point. So thank you for the input.

Joe

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the float bowl, put a dish under the carb and turn the fuel on.
work the float with your finger to verify you get a good flow and the flow does not stop till the float is parallel to the carb floor but stops completely before the float hits the carb floor.
Check you assembled the tap correctly if the fuel supply is too slow.

When the main jet is unscrewed , you can then remove the emulsion tube by pressing down on it from inside the carb throat.
There are around 20 cross drilled holes in the tube & they all have to be clean.

If this checks out, pull the entire carb off and connect the fuel line.
Turn it at right angles and blow through it with high volume low pressure air.
If you get a nice mist of fuel & air coming out the engine side then the carb is fine so time to look hard at the timing and valves.

joeangi

Threads
Thank you for the tips. I will try them tomorrow.

Joe