Battery

woc710

Threads
What is a good battery to purchase for a zero turn mower?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
be sure cca's, cold cranking amps, are enough, should be in your owners manual, i purchased my battery at tractor supply.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For a single cylinder engine I recommend 375 CA and for a twin cylinder engine I recommend 425 CA.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The best batteries by a very long way are the Optima spiral cell batteries but like everything that is way better it is also more expensive.
After that are the motorcycle seal AGM PVR batteries but again they are expensive
After that any other PVR AGM batery
What you should avoid is any flooded cell battery.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Deka. NAPA batteries are made by Deka.

I have a Walmart cheapie battery in my Cub Cadet that's going on it's 6th season. (A record for the Cub Cadet.)

Lawn Addict
Threads
Deka. NAPA batteries are made by Deka.

I have a Walmart cheapie battery in my Cub Cadet that's going on it's 6th season. (A record for the Cub Cadet.)

I looked at the Walmart cheapies, but they are 7-1/4" tall, & my Toro takes an "under the seat" battery, which is only 6-1/4" tall. So I checked the clearance,
it seemed adequate, but a hard bump could possibly spoil my day. So I went for the proper 6-1/4" tall battery.

Mine came w/190 cca, & lasted 6.7 years. The replacement is 350 cca @ 0* so it is nice to have some more amps on board.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Another brand I forgot--Kubota. I don't know who makes them, but the battery in my L3000DT lasted 17 years and was still starting the tractor when I replaced it last year.

That's just one data point, but I thought I'd mention it. I don't know if Kubota stocks batteries to fit other brands, either, but I'll find out the next time I need another battery.

Threads
After 10 years of tendering the OEM battery in my Harley, it gave it up. The stock CCA is 210. I found a Scorpion ACR battery that fit, it has 260 CCA. Dang does that extra 50 CCA make a big difference on how fast it turns over.
I like to put SP-40s in everything at the shop.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
After 10 years of tendering the OEM battery in my Harley, it gave it up. The stock CCA is 210. I found a Scorpion ACR battery that fit, it has 260 CCA. Dang does that extra 50 CCA make a big difference on how fast it turns over.
I like to put SP-40s in everything at the shop.

The scorpians are of course motorcycle batteries as mentioned in the earlier post.
Motorcycle batteries have a much more rugged construction that car or mower batteries but as previously mentioned you do pay extra for the better battery.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Decades ago the battery in my'96 FLHR Road King was getting down on amps, but it fit in my riding mower at the time, even 1/2 dead it had plenty for that old mower..

I got my money outta that one. :laughing: (PS: it was an AGM)