Engine Predator repower on CC 2165?

efred

Threads
Same with Briggs; their engines don't have any oversize pistons available, and I don't know of anyone who makes aftermarket oversize pistons for them, either.

Also, I'm not all that concerned with the side panels and hood. A hammer, wire-feed welder and tin snips will make allowances, because hey, it's a 20-year old garden tractor, which is why I'm not going to spend $1600-$2100 for a new engine repower kit. The biggest concern is the muffler; I can build one, but it's much easier to buy one that will fit. The crankshaft is the same height, the block mount-pattern is the same; the only concern is overall length to the deck clutch, and that can be remedied with the length of the crank-to-hydrostat shaft adapter.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
bert, I too thought he was dealing with a Kohler but I think the engine is a Briggs.

OP--Before you rip into what is a 'classic' lawn and garden tractor with torches and crowbars, give this guy a call. He was able to supply me with parts for a 1965 B&S 3 hp engine, including valve guides, for an engine that didn't even HAVE valve guides. His prices are good, too. No guarantee that he can do for you what he did for me, but it's worth a try. Then your classic lawn and garden tractor will still be intact and it's (increasing) value will be preserved when you go to sell it. Good luck, whichever way you decide.

https://www.smallenginepartssuppliers.com/index.htm

This place also carries a lot of parts. When they couldn't get what I needed, they referred me to the place listed above.
https://lawnparts.com/

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, it would be easier, but it wouldn't be cheaper. The 16 HP Vanguard is expensive to rebuild (a lot of parts are no longer available), the engines are prone to overheating, and they are underpowered when running a 48" deck.

I've regretted getting the 16 HP engine since shortly after buying it; I wished that I spent the extra ~$250 and gotten the 18 HP Kohler instead. I think I would have been happier.

The Vanguard is a near commercial engine, iron sleeved bore. I'm surprised it has bit the dirt this quickly. I would sure look into a rebore and
pistons/rings with some valve lapping before getting into a mess of retrofitting a different motor.

efred

Threads
It's 20 years old, and has had an oil consumption problem for nearly all of those 20 years, due to their stupid early dipstick design. Several years ago, I discovered a mouse nest around one of the heads, causing a lot of problems on that side of the engine. The 16 hp engine in the 2165's has always had a cooling problem, because they used a smaller flywheel and cooling fan. The body on it is no prize, either; the power-coat paint has peeled off in several places over the years, and there are several dents and scrapes all over the body, rendering it undesirable for restoration. I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it.

efred

Threads
IT'S ALIVE!!!! (Finally!)
a
I finally got everything together, and after a few diagnostic problems (pto would shut off the engine, fixed it with a new pto), and got nearly all the body panels together (hood won't fit, due to Predator's exhaust/muffler), I was able to mow my lawn the other day. Even with deep grass (4-7" deep), it mowed it with few problems, mostly due to the belts slipping in the deep grass. Man, 4hp+ makes a world of difference (and ~400 rpms more doesn't hurt, either).

One odd thing, is when mowing up steep hills, when the mower levels off, it will smoke for several seconds, then clear up. I talked with a mower mechanic, and he claimed that most, if not all, air-cooled engines will smoke when mowing up hills.

On a related topic, does anyone know where I can get ~ 30mm, or 1 3/16" OD exhaust tubing, and get it bent? I need new exhaust pipes to fit to a custom-built muffler.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've ran many mowers( and other 4 cycle equipment) up hills, they never smoked.......

efred

Threads
I talked with my friend, a 35-yr Master mechanic, and he wondered if the engine had a touch too much oil in the crankcase. After the first running, it hasn't smoked since.

I may contact Predator to get info direct from the horse's mouth.