Is it possible to add a recoil starter kit

abarone300

Threads
Hello everyone
I own a Honda Ht-r 3009 riding lawnmower with a GXV270 engine (I think it's 8 HP). I normally start the engine with the key since its got an electric starter. Lately I've been having a problem starting it. I would like to install a manual recoil pull start kit and retain the electric starter, is it possible? Does anybody know what kind of kit I need, maybe a place to get it? Thanks to all
Aldo, Italy

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The GX 270 ( horizontal shaft ) recoil starter will bolt right on.
Remember you will need the cup as well as the recoil unit which are sold separately.
Should be able to get generic ones from China via ebay in italy.

abarone300

Threads
Hi bertsmobile1, Thanks for the answer. I don't know is there are GXv270 with a horizontal drive shaft, but mine has a vertical shaft... Does it make a difference? Thanks again

abarone300

Threads
I just realized that there might be a GX270 ( I suppose this is the horizontal shaft version ) sorry bertsmobile1, I'm not too familiar with the different models...

abarone300

Threads
Re: Is it possible to add a recoil starter kit?

I looked up some pull starter kits for the GX270 on Ebay and noticed that all of them have a casing with mounting holes, my flywheel does not have threaded holes to mount the casing on, the only holes with thread are the three holes (in triangle pattern) toward the center to mount the cooling fan...

abarone300

Threads
Re: Is it possible to add a recoil starter kit?

Thank you for the two links tadawson, now I have a clear idea how the kit works; the pulley starter (ref #3) bolts on to the cooling fan and flywheel and the recoil starter assembly bolts on to the fan cover (ref #2)
Should the new recoil starter assembly have three holes to match the holes on the fan cover or will I have to drill some newones? Thanks again

Aldo

tadawson

Threads
If it's like other GXV engines, it will replace the air inlet that is on yours using the same 3 tapped holes. Honda recoil starters also have the air inlet grill built into them. Those shots are for your mower (well, one of the two serial number ranges for that model) and based on that, #3 should already be there . . .