Mouse Ate Red Cable. How to Fix?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well, it will take me a long time to get through that!

Before I go down that road, I want to note that the spark plug is not sparking. Should I still follow the checklist above, or is there something else I should do?

For the time being, leave the coil disconnected
The wire on the coil is a ground wire.
Without being grounded the coil should provide a nice spark at the plug.
I should have warned you to disconnect that wire before you start and pull the spark plug.
Most of the safety switches have 2 switches in the one housing
One side switches 12V so the solenoid energizes & the starter cranks the engine.
The other side grounds the coil to prevent the engine starting.
If there is more bare wiring there is a chance that the wires have shorted together.
On most tractors you will not get a spark if
1) the PTO is turned on
2) the brake is turned off
3) the mower is in reverse

the last thing I do before reconnecting the coil is to check there is no voltage on it when the engine is cranking and it goes to ground when the engine is turned off.

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Obviously you had a mouse nest, but the wires almost look like the plastic shroud cover abraded the wires insulation away, the wear looks like the shroud did it.

Regards

Jeff

Kimberly5

Threads
Hello gentleman.

As noted previously, I replaced the wire to the carburetor as well as the ignition module. I gapped the magneto in accordance with the video and I also replaced the spark plug.

However, the engine would still not turn over. No audible sound was produced when I turned the key.

Next, I inspected the switches and wiring. I discovered a blown 20 A fuse. I replaced it.

The flywheel started turning upon turning the ignition!

However, the engine would still not start.

Next, I checked the oil. I found that the oil level was very low and the color of the oil was as black as the night.

Just now, I replaced the oil with 10W-30 oil and now the engine starts!

However, the engine is "popping" very loudly and frequently. It's also spewing smoke that hurts my lungs.

Any advice?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What color is the smoke? How much oil did you put in?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Oil capacity on the Courage 19 is 1.5-6 quarts.
i've always put right a quart and a half in my Courage 19 for 10 years...
so check it on the dipstick. (im sure you have) and if its full drain a little bit out at a time until you get it right.
as for the popping, its usually valves out of adjustment or worn camshaft lobes.

Kimberly5

Threads
Oil capacity on the Courage 19 is 1.5-6 quarts.
i've always put right a quart and a half in my Courage 19 for 10 years...
so check it on the dipstick. (im sure you have) and if its full drain a little bit out at a time until you get it right.
as for the popping, its usually valves out of adjustment or worn camshaft lobes.

Thank you! I was planning to adjust the valve gaps anyway, and now I have extra motivation.

One more question: I put 10W-30 oil in the engine, but I now see that the mower's operating manual recommends only 5W-30 or SAE 30, (the specific oil recommdation between the two depends on the temperature). Should I drain all the oil and switch to SAE 30, or is 10W-30 okay until my next change?

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've ran 10W30 in my courage 19 for 10 years and not a problem at all.
Just be sure if you do check the valve clearance, order a new valve cover gasket and clean up the 2 gasket surfaces very good. This courage is prone to the gasket leaking.

Kimberly5

Threads
I've ran 10W30 in my courage 19 for 10 years and not a problem at all.
Just be sure if you do check the valve clearance, order a new valve cover gasket and clean up the 2 gasket surfaces very good. This courage is prone to the gasket leaking.

Hello sirs. Today I adjusted the valve gaps.

The exhaust valve seemed good or even just a little tight.

The intake valve gap was huge. I adjusted it to 0.005 inches as the operating manual demanded.

I removed the old gasket cover and used "ultra black" sealant to form a new seal.

I then tried to start the mower. The smoke from the last attempt is gone. Perhaps this is because the old oil has burned up.

However, the engine is still popping and the engine is WEAK! I tried reversing and driving forward but the mower was moving very slowly.

Any suggestions?