Newly installed engine, getting sparks and seems misaligned

Geonosian Accountant

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Newly installed engine, getting sparks and seems misaligned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA7HjzR9km8

Please watch the above video link. I just purchased and installed this new engine. I'm getting sparks from when the top grate rubs against the top cover. If you watch closely, it looks like everything in the center is off-center, and does not move in a perfect circular motion. I tried resetting the top grate, but I end up with the same result. After I turn the engine off, I am getting some smoke from all areas (hard to see from the video). I'm not sure if the smoke is related to the sparks or not. Any ideas on what I should do from here? Thank you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Please watch the above video link. I just purchased and installed this new engine. I'm getting sparks from when the top grate rubs against the top cover. If you watch closely, it looks like everything in the center is off-center, and does not move in a perfect circular motion. I tried resetting the top grate, but I end up with the same result. After I turn the engine off, I am getting some smoke from all areas (hard to see from the video). I'm not sure if the smoke is related to the sparks or not. Any ideas on what I should do from here? Thank you.

:welcome:

So the debris screen is touching on the blower housing.
Unfortunately my eyes are not as good as the used to be & i can not focus on the entire guard when it is spinning at 1500 rpm to 3600 rpm.
Remove the plugs & the belts.
Put your camera on a stand so it does not move & gives a refference point
The reach under the mower & turn the engine over by hand.

The blower housing could be a little bent out of position or the finger/ debris guard could be bent or out of position or the crank could be bent.
To work that out we have to be able to see the centre nut revolving slowly enough to see if it is taking an eccentric path.
The remove the blower housing and look at the flywheel for scuff marks where it is rubbing on on of the coils.

TylerFrankel

Threads

I'd imagine its the housing. Run it without the guard on and don't touch it so your fingers survive. If that fixes it you know the problem. I doubt the flywheel is actually misaligned on a new engine, it would probably vibrate violently too. Possible though.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
It looks it's rubbing on the bottom right corner. also looks discolored their. if want to get a grinder and cut it out a little. i've done that before .