PTO not staying engaged

B4tenn

Forum Newbie
Threads
2009 Husqvarna WHF 4817. I have changed pto switch and installed a new pto clutch. Mowed yard last week and pto engaged and mowed front yard just fine. Turned mower off and let it sit for about an hour. Started mower back up and engaged pto ran for about 5 minutes and stopped working again.
No battery, pull start.
Wondering if pto is receiving enough voltage to stay engaged?
Any ideals?
What voltage does it take to keep pto engaged?

Thanks Blake

BooVuc

Threads
I can tell you that my Dixon ZTR did the same thing last year when i was jumping the battery to start mowing. The issue was just corroded battery terminals. That's it. It was charging correctly but wasn't getting the contact necessary on the terminals to keep the battery fully charged.
I cleaned up the terminals and charged the battery up and the PTO never failed since.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With no battery most electric clutches need at least 12V to stay engaged. I would check the charging system, may have a regulator or stator hot shorting when they warm up.

Joconnor66

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm hoping I've got a similar issue but can you guys verify?

Husq 2348 with ~590hrs

No issues until PTO started disengaging after ~1min. Rest of drive works totally fine.
After PTO would disengage it would not reengage until mower was totally shut down and restarted, but will keep shutting down after ~1min
Based on the previous replies, I am also having to jump start the mower most times even though it reads 11-12V. Replaced PTO and switch with no change.
I noticed that when I continue to pull the switch after the PTO has stopped working, it shuts off the LCD hours meter when I engage the switch, if I disengage the hours show up again. Also while the switch is engaged even though PTO is not, the seat kill switch still works too.

I got a new battery ~6mos ago but still end up jumping so would it be likely mine is the terminals or some sort of voltage leak?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to check the voltage at the battery while running, should read 13 1/2 at least.

Also find and put up the engines make and model numbers.

Joconnor66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got it. I'll double check tonight. When I've measured voltage running it's typically been high 12s, but I'll verify.
it's a Briggs 22hp but I'll get serial as well.

thank you!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Got it. I'll double check tonight. When I've measured voltage running it's typically been high 12s, but I'll verify.
it's a Briggs 22hp but I'll get serial as well.

thank you!

Get the model, type and code numbers, and a pic of the wiring coming out from the top cover.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The key to your problem is the fact that everything electrical goes off when you turn the PTO on & off.
Only 1 reasons for this.
Not enough battery power getting to the mower.
So then you look at what can be causing this
Battery capacity low
bad connections
Excessive load.

So locate the ends of both battery cables and make sure they are clean and tight.
Check the output from the alternator wire to the battery negative and to the engine, should be the same.
Measure it in both DC & AC.
If you get an AC reading then the rectifier is suspect.
If the rectifier has been pumping AC into the battery for the last 6 months then the battery could be ruined.

Also check the fuse, clean both ends of the fuse holder and fit a new fuse.

Joconnor66

Forum Newbie
Threads
See attached pictures. The battery connections are fairly clean and tight. I can give them another wire brushing, but not much corrosion or visible problems.
Where are the rectifier and alternator on these?

Thanks!

IMG_20190917_193808.jpgIMG_20190917_193744.jpgIMG_20190917_193706.jpgIMG_20190917_193647.jpg

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look on top of the valve covers for the engine's model numbers. Also, if the red plug goes to your keyswitch, and that is corrosion. Your problem may be right there.

gunk.jpg