Dixon Grizzly, 2005/06 Honda Powered Oil Filter

BooVuc

Threads
Can someone give me the correct NAPA filter number for my Honda powered circa 2005/2006 Dixon Grizzly?
The one they insist is fits will not clear the frame to properly screw on the threads and it's not the correct diameter on closer inspection. I tossed the old filter in the old oil and in slipping around on my rubber gloves, it wiped out the lettering on it. (Yea! It was one of those days)! Cannot get a definitive cross reference on Jacks site, etc.
Please help! :ashamed:
Thanks in Advance!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can someone give me the correct NAPA filter number for my Honda powered circa 2005/2006 Dixon Grizzly?
The one they insist is fits will not clear the frame to properly screw on the threads and it's not the correct diameter on closer inspection. I tossed the old filter in the old oil and in slipping around on my rubber gloves, it wiped out the lettering on it. (Yea! It was one of those days)! Cannot get a definitive cross reference on Jacks site, etc.
Please help! :ashamed:
Thanks in Advance!

:welcome:

If you post the engine number and the length of the old filter I will see what I can do.
The thread should be 20 x 1.5 mm metric
the original Honda filter is 2 11/16" wide by 3 1/2" long , Stens 120-722
The shorter Kawasaki filter is 2 5/8" x 2 1/2 " Stens 120-137
Note Kawasaki engines can be either metric or UNC
There is a slightly smaller filter fitted to the Loncin engine that Toro are now using but my Stens catalogue predates them and usually the 137 filter fits.
I keep 3 metric filters ( the other is 3" wide ) and am yet to find a mower one of them will not fit.

BooVuc

Threads
Thanks guys,
I'll have to measure the filter or take the thing oiled and all to NAPA.
The filter that is called for for this motor is a small diameter that all the online places state will fit. The filter that was on it, (the dealer I bought it from put on), is much larger diameter but stubby for the commercial purpose of this ZTR. Just pissed off about something as simple as an oil change is such a PIA. I should have just taken the number off the filter before ordering what I needed. I do remember the owner of the business telling me that it took a special filter in hindsight.
I will call the dealership, (Kubota dealer), and see if they kept a record of it. I know they had to keep the machine an extra couple days because they had to order in the filter to service it before I picked it up last year. Either way, I'll have a filter today or on order by the end of the day!
Thanks for the responses. Not much Dixon stuff on here anymore!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If they were a Kubota filter then they most likely fitted a Kubota filter.
They are M20 x 1.5 as well.

BooVuc

Threads
No, they used a NAPA filter for the Dixon they sold me.
The proper filter from NAPA is a 21334MP. The Kubota dealer called me back and said they installed a NAPA Pro Select 21334 when they serviced it last spring. The 21334MP replaced that filter. I now have two and have updated my books and manual to include this number.
Thanks!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
None of those numbers match what I got on the NAPA website for a Dixon Grizzly.

NAPA.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not odd.
If they are like me they stock as few filters that they can so pick a couple that will fit all they service.
Rarely do I fit the exact replacement ,it does not matter.
All that is important is the rubber gasket sits ( seals )on the machined face, the treads match, the micron size is the same and any bypass valves if fitted are similar values.
The actual height & diameter is of no practical importance.
If I kept every different oil filter for what I service I would have around 27 of them and many would end up rusting on the shelf.
So I keep Briggs long & short + Honda long & short + very shot Tecumseh.
I used around 20 a month so they can be bought in bulk thus saving money and are always "fresh".
A friend has local car filters on a Lotus 123 spreadsheet and when you sort them you suddenly see that the exact same specification filter is generally available in a dozen different diameters and in each diameter, different lengths from around 2 1/2" to 5" increasing by 1/4" steps.
Thus the only real difference in 50 filters is the volume of oil it takes to fill them.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree, but to pass off the 'substitute' filter as the 'correct' filter is not being honest with the customer.

Your situation is different than a NAPA parts store. You can't afford to stock every filter for every engine. But that is the business NAPA is in. Here in the States, my experience with NAPA is that if they don't have the correct part in stock, they can usually have it later in the day or the next day at the latest.