Walk behind 2008 HRR216VKA has lost its will to drive...

Irv

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, All,

My 2008 HRR216VKA self-propels on the driveway, although slower than it used to. As soon as it moves onto grass, bogs down and stops - has to be pushed manually. Mowing is fine. Suspect tranny or clutch slippage. Any diagnoses? Any idea of cost of new tranny, if required?

Thanx for any suggestions...

--Irv

mva

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the drive belt - it may be slipping - there should be a bolt to adjust the spring tension on the belt or you may need to replace the belt.

The bushings on your drive shaft may be corroded - cheap to replace (#12 in this diagram). Snap ring pliers are required to disassemble the drive.

Plano Power Equipment Online Store - Honda Self Propelled Model Harmony II HRS216, HRR216, HRT216 Rear Wheel Parts

On my mower the drive actuating cable attachment point and lever had worn to the point that the transmission was not engaging. I modified the attachment point to put a bit more tension on the cable and it started working again.

New tranny is about $200

regards,
Mike

Irv

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, Mike, Ms. Irene slowed me down, but you've given me some good starting points.

Irv

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just wanted to follow up on this, for Mike and anyone else interested. I followed Mike's suggestions, and everything looked/seemed to work OK. So, I took it to the Honda dealer where I bought it, where I discovered that it was out of warranty by TWO WEEKS. :mad:

It was determined that a new transmission was required with an estimate of $250 (on a lawnmower that is 3 years and 2 weeks old and cost about $500 new). The Honda maintenance manager seemed more interested in berating me for his perception of lack of maintenance on my part than helping me out, although he said he would call the Regional Service Manager, whose contact info is hidden from us hoi-polloi in the general population. I'm not optimistic; after all, I'm just a customer. :rolleyes:

So, bottom line, I'll be leaving the Honda forum (I wouldn't have another on on a silver platter), and all indications point to joining the Toro forum. Thanx, again, Mike for your suggestions. --Irv

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Just wanted to follow up on this, for Mike and anyone else interested. I followed Mike's suggestions, and everything looked/seemed to work OK. So, I took it to the Honda dealer where I bought it, where I discovered that it was out of warranty by TWO WEEKS. :mad:

It was determined that a new transmission was required with an estimate of $250 (on a lawnmower that is 3 years and 2 weeks old and cost about $500 new). The Honda maintenance manager seemed more interested in berating me for his perception of lack of maintenance on my part than helping me out, although he said he would call the Regional Service Manager, whose contact info is hidden from us hoi-polloi in the general population. I'm not optimistic; after all, I'm just a customer. :rolleyes:

So, bottom line, I'll be leaving the Honda forum (I wouldn't have another on on a silver platter), and all indications point to joining the Toro forum. Thanx, again, Mike for your suggestions. --Irv
Oh well, live and learn eh ?

Toro seems to be a good brand, and I'm sure you'll be happy with your new mower.

Just make sure you get the longest warranty available in case the same thing happens again :thumbsup: