New to me 2812523BVE (2007) Like new

MoPops

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to me 2812523BVE (2007) Like new
I bought this 2007 today. It must have around 20 hours on it. Everything on it is like new. It has the B&S 12.5 HP rear motor. It’s been in storage for at least the last 5 years. The owner had tried to run it last year and was able to cut the grass four times then it quit. Went back in storage. It also has the Ninja Kit and Bag catcher. The original owner paid $1,954 back in 2007.
After I got it home, I started checking it out. The crankcase was full of gas. The cylinder was also full of gas, and hydrolocked. I drained the crankcase and cylinder (pulled the plug and pulled the rope starter a few times) then added gas and gave it a try. It immediately dumped gas back into the crankcase and cylinder. My guess is the carburetor is not working properly.
With the plug pulled, I can pull the starter cord, and the engine turns over fine..
The starter will not do anything. The previous owner probably tried to start it several times with the cylinder hydrolocked. It will now just make a buzzing or humming sound. That’s it.
I didn’t give him much for it. I was hoping I got a bargain. Was thinking of just hauling it in to a small engine shop, but I don’t have one I feel real comfortable with.
I’d like to get it running myself if possible.
So, where should I start? Thanks all for any advice.
Jeff
Picture of my project.
48D84EBA-5E70-494B-9FCA-089A44D8E47D.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:
Start by removing the carb and cleaning it.
A rebuild kit would not be out of order either
Then remove the fuel tank & clean it .
Replace all of the fuel lines , filter and if there is not one, install an inline tap
Remove the starter and pull the end plate off then remove the armature.
Usually the carbon brushes arc everywhere they are replaced as a set.
Otherwise just get a new starter, Aftermarket from a real mower repair shop.
Ignore everything you see on line at Amazon or Ebay.
Not one of my customers who fitted one sourced from e-retailers got more than a year out of the starter before they packed it in.
All of them were defective when I pulled then down to have a look.

MoPops

Forum Newbie
Threads
:welcome:
Start by removing the carb and cleaning it.
A rebuild kit would not be out of order either
Then remove the fuel tank & clean it .
Replace all of the fuel lines , filter and if there is not one, install an inline tap
Remove the starter and pull the end plate off then remove the armature.
Usually the carbon brushes arc everywhere they are replaced as a set.
Otherwise just get a new starter, Aftermarket from a real mower repair shop.
Ignore everything you see on line at Amazon or Ebay.
Not one of my customers who fitted one sourced from e-retailers got more than a year out of the starter before they packed it in.
All of them were defective when I pulled then down to have a look.

Thanks Bert. Are you any where close to St Louis?
Edit, after reading your signature... Do you ever visit St Louis. Ha!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not really, but Beau is down your way

MoPops

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not really, but Beau is down your way

I’ll try to track down Beau. I could easily be talked into just dropping off this Snapper with a reputable individual and getting it ready to go. The way I look at it I got a practically new $2,000 mower, probably worth $2800 today for almost nothing. I’m a cheap bas#@&%, so I’d like to get it running great and still have practically nothing in it. Ha!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The problem with those Snappers, is that it is real hard to impress women with them. One feels like a goofy bas tard and the confidence just drains from your soul.

MoPops

Forum Newbie
Threads
I mow here and at the farm. I’ve been push mowing here for 35 years. I’m kind of hoping the wife will step up if I can ever get this POS Snapper to run. I think I bought a irreparable problem child. Probably needs a new engine. Even though the old one has 20 hrs on it.