Parts, Parts, Parts

svenskar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Was tightening my pull cord on my Lawn Boy 8671 today when something broke. It’s the end of one of wires going to the kill switch. Broke off. The other end is in the mower. Anyone have a suggestion where to get a part or whether a solder will work?
621ECCE1-686F-4229-9E36-11958EB51DA2.jpgD5FFA737-F391-46D0-AEC8-A354B90C82E7.jpg

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I don't think you can solder it back for a fix.
That appears to be the magneto that it broke off of. Need a new one.

jp1961

Threads
That just a crimp on male side of a blade connector,,,Radio Shack should sell those in a blister pack.

Sorry,,,took a better look at it after more coffee,,,you could make a new one out of thin stainless from say an old hose clamp.

Regards

Jeff

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That just a crimp on male side of a blade connector,,,Radio Shack should sell those in a blister pack.

Sorry,,,took a better look at it after more coffee,,,you could make a new one out of thin stainless from say an old hose clamp.

Regards

Jeff

The spade terminal is not the problem.
The problem is soldering it bakc onto the magneto coil without roasting the trigger chip .
It came from out of the middle of the potting resin on top of the coil.

FWIW I would call that not repairable.

svenskar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Two questions: any idea where I could find that part and second, didn’t Radio Shack go belly-up?

jp1961

Threads
Ok, I think Radio Shack did go belly up.

If you remove the bolt that's in the photo, does what left of the blade connector come off? If it does than just fabricate a new blade connector. shouldn't be hard to do with a pair of tin snips and some thin stainless or regular steel.

Bert, this isn't the wire for the coil to plug, just a ground for the kill switch, I think.

Jeff

bogdaN

Threads
Can you send us pic,of that kill switch?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok, I think Radio Shack did go belly up.

If you remove the bolt that's in the photo, does what left of the blade connector come off? If it does than just fabricate a new blade connector. shouldn't be hard to do with a pair of tin snips and some thin stainless or regular steel.

Bert, this isn't the wire for the coil to plug, just a ground for the kill switch, I think.

Jeff

have a close look or better still chase up an image of the part.
The male blade did not break off the mounting bolt, it broke off the coil in the middle of the potting resin .
What is missing from the photo is the wire that would have fitted onto it.
And as it is a magneto then good chance you are correct and it is a kill wire.

viperv10

Threads
It looks to me like the spade end of the kill wire broke off. Another one could be crimped back on if you had some of the male ends at home.
The part number for that wire is 681788. You can get one on Ebay for 4.75 and free shipping. Also www.oldmowerparts.com have them for 4.59, but there will probably be shipping. I was looking at the kill switch and it has a black and a white lead, both with female ends. So it still looks like to me from your photo
that you will just have to buy that lead wire or buy a pack of male ends and crimp a new one on. By the way the kill switch is part 682513 if you want to check if that is the same switch on your mower. Let us know if you have any more questions.
Jerry

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Jerry, both you & Jeff are missing the point that the terminal that broke off is no crimped onto a loose wire.
It is soldered to the end of the trigger module which is under that resin.
Thus there is nothing to crimp anything on to.

Depending upon exactly where things are under the resin he might be able to use a bolt on spade terminal secured with a short self tapper through the remains of the terminal in the potting mix like you can do with some PTO clutches.
However you do run a big risk of putting the self tapper through the trigger chip unless you know exactly where the chip is.