Parts, Parts, Parts

viperv10

Threads
OK, I see it now. It broke off of that burgundy colored part of the coil. I can kind a see the little slot where it broke off from. I never would have noticed that from the picture. You know your stuff Bert. I never thought about where the other wire on the kill switch went to. So another CD pack or coil will be needed.
They are still easy to find. Generic ones are not too expensive. Some NOS OMCs are 80 bucks.
Jerry

bogdaN

Threads
Bert is right,and bottom line is you need new coil.

svenskar

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hate creating dissent on the lawnmower page. Can’t we all just get along? Seriously, I’ll try to get a pic today. It is a female end that is one of two wires off the kill switch. The flimsy, cheap piece of metal that may have been engineered off a Coke can tab broke off inside of the crimped female end. I was able to pull the piece out of that crimp so I’m not sure if the wire is the issue. This female end needs a male and there is nothing but the stump you see. I saw something on somebody’s cheap Lawnboy site ironically at a pricey $60.

svenskar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got updated on the coil posts after I’d posted— thanks for the help guys! I’ll start the search.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I hate creating dissent on the lawnmower page. Can’t we all just get along? Seriously, I’ll try to get a pic today. It is a female end that is one of two wires off the kill switch. The flimsy, cheap piece of metal that may have been engineered off a Coke can tab broke off inside of the crimped female end. I was able to pull the piece out of that crimp so I’m not sure if the wire is the issue. This female end needs a male and there is nothing but the stump you see. I saw something on somebody’s cheap Lawnboy site ironically at a pricey $60.

Dissent is fine it stimulates the brain and makes people go back and check things, provided it does not get personnel & abusive.
Although I have never worked on that model mower I have replaced enough coils to have seen the same thing happen before.
The actual problem is a support for the wire has fallen off which allowed the tab to vibrate back and forth, one time too many.
And credit where credit is due, the very first person to reply had it correct, the magneto is broken.
All I did was correct latter posters and hopefully get them to have a closer look thus learn.
You might be able to dig out enough of the potting mix ( the pinky brown stuff ) to get enough of the contact to solder a wire with a male terminal on the other end to the remains of the original contact.
Then you will need to replace what you dug out and hope the heat did not fry the chip and the goop you fill the hole with makes a seal preventing water getting in.
Some times it is the only way to make a repair because the part is no longer available.
Good luck and let us know what you do & how it goes.

Got-to-be-old

Threads
Very well said Bert. Due to the stresses of life I read on forums of misunderstandings both ways. We need to just try to look at the problem and let it go. I have tried the fix with no long term fix, eventually vibrates apart. And you are a very good asset to this forum. Thanks Bert.