John Deere STX38 Need help finding the fill hole if there is one for the differential

BashRipRock

Threads
  • / John Deere STX38 Need help finding the fill hole if there is one for the differential
Hey, gang, it's spring again. Everyone was a lot of help last year. I have an STX 38 yellow deck. It has the 12.5 Kohler engine. It is a 5-speed gearbox with reverse. I just picked this up last year. I never checked the differential fluid or anything, because it was working fine. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the plug for this is and where do I check the fluid? What type of oil does it call for? Everything else is fine. I chaaned the oil and filter today. New exhaust gasket. Cleaned the deck and lubed the chasis. I'm going to replace the fuel line and inline filter, I think. It's ready to go for this weekend. I appreciate any answers or suggestons you all may have. Thank you and have a great evening.

JoeM(GA)

Threads
  • / John Deere STX38 Need help finding the fill hole if there is one for the differential
Hey, gang, it's spring again. Everyone was a lot of help last year. I have an STX 38 yellow deck. It has the 12.5 Kohler engine. It is a 5-speed gearbox with reverse. I just picked this up last year. I never checked the differential fluid or anything, because it was working fine. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the plug for this is and where do I check the fluid? What type of oil does it call for? Everything else is fine. I chaaned the oil and filter today. New exhaust gasket. Cleaned the deck and lubed the chasis. I'm going to replace the fuel line and inline filter, I think. It's ready to go for this weekend. I appreciate any answers or suggestons you all may have. Thank you and have a great evening.

the 5 speed manual is packed with a special grease, there is no check plug, transmission case has to be taken apart to clean it out and replace.
I have a PDF of the tech manual if wanted, shoot me your email and it's on the way

Joe

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Might look, not sure on that model, look for a grease fitting on the front axle in the center of the machine where the big bolt goes through it. Hard to spot and usually gets missed.

BashRipRock

Threads
Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I greatly appreciate it!

Threads
Some folk even drill and tap them for zerk fittings.
If it isnt leaking leave it alone. If it is leaking replace it.
A lot less hassle