Plastic gas tanks

Boit4852

Threads
I'm having issues suspicions with the Exmark and other brands that use plastic gas tank. Specifically, my Exmark is an '07 and lately I've been having issues with gasoline flow to the carburetor. I modified my fuel system by changing the fuel line and adding tees along with shut-off valves and a dual parallel filter design. I'm experiencing water in the tanks and what appears a milky looking sludge that keeps plugging the filters and now plugging the carb's idle jet causing engine rpm surging at idle. Since the mower is 12 years old, I wonder if the inside of the gas tanks are starting to deteriorate and causing the milky sludge? Do these have an inner coating that can disintegrate and cause this milky sludge? Since day one, I have only used ethanol-free gas and have added Sta-Bil along with Marvel and other additives to my tanks. I wonder if the inside of the tanks are now breaking down?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never seen the inside of the plastic tanks deteriorate like that, crack and get brittle yes but no leach. I suspect that you are picking up a mixture of ethanol, water, and the resulting bacteria that grows in that alcohol, dirt, water mixture. It can have the appearance of snot. The other think could be that the aluminum carb is corroding and you are getting aluminum oxide which is a white powdery substance that can look like a grey/white sludge.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
White milky look means water...
If the gas was dissolving the plastic, then you would have baked crystallized plastic locking up the engine, which is what happens when folks use things like milkjugs to transport their fuel.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probably just water from condensation. Is the mower stored in an area where the temperature fluctuates significantly?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Old E10 fuel does this .
The ethanol settles out then adsorbs moisture from the air overnight.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Since day one, I have only used ethanol-free gas and have added Sta-Bil along with Marvel and other additives to my tanks. I wonder if the inside of the tanks are now breaking down?

Sounds like we may be able to rule out E-10, but I test my gas. This is what water in E-10 looks like, & how it separates.

Attachments

• E-10 in gas.jpg
    E-10 in gas.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 14

Boit4852

Threads
I have never seen the inside of the plastic tanks deteriorate like that, crack and get brittle yes but no leach. I suspect that you are picking up a mixture of ethanol, water, and the resulting bacteria that grows in that alcohol, dirt, water mixture. It can have the appearance of snot. The other think could be that the aluminum carb is corroding and you are getting aluminum oxide which is a white powdery substance that can look like a grey/white sludge.

I've been draining quite a lot of water from the tanks lately. Two years ago, I replaced all fuel lines and ran separate lines form each tank along with a valve to shut off flow from each tank so that I can drain a few ounces from one tank at a time. I ran each line down to it's own 11 micron filter and then to a common drain just downstream where I had teed the filter outlets together. I also eliminated both check valves as I view those as unneeded restrictions. Today I loosened the float bowl solenoid and caught what came out of the bowl and found it was mostly water. I think the water is accumulating in the tanks because I haven't used best practices in the colder months and not keeping the tanks full to minimize a large air space which pulls in outside air/humidity during thermal cycles. I have no place to store the machine protected from the huge swings in temperature so I park it a concrete slab and keep it covered with an ATV cover. Today, I pulled off the fuel bowl off to see what was in it and clean it out. Unfortunately, the o-ring dropped out the sealing groove and I can't get it stay in place when I reinstall the bowl.I'm going to remove the carb and clean the jets and get that o-ring back in place. From now on, I'll keep the tanks full after mowing to eliminate the air space. I've on ever used E-O gas plus I add Sta-Bil and Lucas ethanl treatment. I hope the dealer where I buy my E-O gas is not selling E-10 as E-O then charging the higher price.

Boit4852

Threads
Sounds like we may be able to rule out E-10, but I test my gas. This is what water in E-10 looks like, & how it separates.

I've been wanting to get an ethanol tester so now you've convinced that it would be a prudent thing to do. Thanks.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Test his gas, it's simple. You can google it & get lots of pics with it I'm sure.

As to your 0-ring, try wiping it with some grease (thinly) to help it adhere to the carb, while you put the bowl back up. .

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been wanting to get an ethanol tester so now you've convinced that it would be a prudent thing to do. Thanks.

Don't buy one, make one. It's simple. Like I said google a decent you tube on the subject.