X330 or S240???

GMJim

Threads
I have an opportunity to buy a brand new in the crate last years model X330 for $423.00 more than a brand new S240. The S240 is sufficient for my 1/2 acre but for $423.00 the X330 is tempting. Is the B&S 44J6 engine as good as the Kawasaki?
What would you do? Opinions are welcomed.
Thanks
Jim

Rigbyfab4

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don’t personally have experience with either unit, but have been bouncing around in the same zone as you. I ultimately ruled out the 330 because of the Briggs. I expect to land on either S240 or X350 at this point.

All three of my local dealers said they thought the Kawasaki was the way to go.

One dealer put it to me this way:

He confirmed the kawi was better than the Briggs pro. vortex one in the 330, though not hugely so. Said basically, for motor costs, one way to look at it:
B&s: Intek (100-150): $500
B&S: ELS (160-180): $800
B&S Pro/Vortex (X330): $1000
Kawi xxx (S240/X350): $1200

cruzenmike

Threads
While your concern of engine choice is there, the other trade-off is in the equipment itself. The X330 is simply a better machine. Deck, instrument panel, frame and warranty are all better on the select series tractors. With as few hours as you put on your machine, it would take a decade hopefully before you see any engine issues if at all. Staying on top of routine maintenance and avoiding ethanol in your fuel will go further than choosing a Kawasaki over the Briggs and just carrying on all willy-nilly! Either way, both good machines, but if you pick just based on the Kawasaki engine, you should consider other brands as well, since it can save you even more money!

gotomow

Threads
While your concern of engine choice is there, the other trade-off is in the equipment itself. The X330 is simply a better machine. Deck, instrument panel, frame and warranty are all better on the select series tractors. With as few hours as you put on your machine, it would take a decade hopefully before you see any engine issues if at all. Staying on top of routine maintenance and avoiding ethanol in your fuel will go further than choosing a Kawasaki over the Briggs and just carrying on all willy-nilly! Either way, both good machines, but if you pick just based on the Kawasaki engine, you should consider other brands as well, since it can save you even more money!

I agree. If you drive both you will want the X300 series. How much more is the X350 for you in Canada? Since the X350 has the Kawasaki engine it is worth pricing it out also. Remember JD is in Deere season now so they are offering $$$ off on the X300 series. For us here in the States the difference between the S240 and X350 is just $400.

GMJim

Threads
Thanks for your opinions. I was told there might be a sale in May but wasn't sure what models will be offered. I don't want to wait too long and have the last year X330 sold out. I will look into the X350 but the S240 is already overkill for what I need. I'm the type of guy that always overbuys. I start looking at what I need and end up buying what I want. The difference between the 2018 X330 and the 2019 S240 is only $375. but with tax (13%) here is about $423. I'll look into the X350 for sure.
Thanks

gotomow

Threads
Just got on to JD.ca and some of the X300 models do have $$$ off currently. It says online that the offer goes until April 30th. I will probably get the X350 before this sale is over.

GMJim

Threads
Just got on to JD.ca and some of the X300 models do have $$$ off currently. It says online that the offer goes until April 30th. I will probably get the X350 before this sale is over.

What price are you seeing? JD.ca is showing $4689. It doesn't show a sale price?
Jim

GMJim

Threads
Here is a link to the sale:http://www.deere.ca/en/campaigns/ag-turf/sales-event/

In the USA if we "add to cart" the sale price pops in then, however on the .ca site that does not happen.

Thanks for the link. Though I didn't know there was a sale, I've been given sale prices without being told they were sale prices. The X350 is undoubtedly a better machine but the gap between the S240 and X350 even at the sale price is $1000.00 before tax. Last years X330 is half of that but I'd rather have the Kawasaki engine. One dealer has offered me the S240 at a great price and has offered to post date the sale till after May first so I can get a free 10P Utility cart.

cruzenmike

Threads
Thanks for the link. Though I didn't know there was a sale, I've been given sale prices without being told they were sale prices. The X350 is undoubtedly a better machine but the gap between the S240 and X350 even at the sale price is $1000.00 before tax. Last years X330 is half of that but I'd rather have the Kawasaki engine. One dealer has offered me the S240 at a great price and has offered to post date the sale till after May first so I can get a free 10P Utility cart.

Since you have already stated that the S240 would be overkill for what you need it sounds like the S240 with the pricing and yard cart is a no-brainer for you. With the money you save you could also look into extending your warranty; for peace of mind if you need it. Otherwise, take good care of it and it will take good care of you.