Toro Model Differences

msollars

Forum Newbie
Threads
21381 vs 20382

From what I can tell it's Honda vs Toro Engine. (70$ premium for Honda)

Anything else I am missing?

Any other models I should be considering at this price point? My last mowers were a Craftsmen model (terrible) and a used Honda Harmony 215 (under-powered for thicker wet-ish grass)

I'm open to anything but prefer the following:

Self-Propelled
Rolls nice
very few bells and whistles

It's about 98% mulched and 2% bagged....fairly level, PARADISE for moles apparantly, typical missouri lawn.

thanks,
Matt

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are correct, the only difference between the two models is the engine. The Toro engine out sells the Honda 10/1 in our area. The 21381 is our top seller of all Toro models, even out sells the steel deck model. Good unit for what you are considering.

msollars

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the quick reply.

2 questions:

1. Can you recommend a dealer in the Kansas City/Easter Kansas City area?

2. Can you recommend a way to get rid of Moles in my yard?

Thanks,
Matt

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, I’m in Wisconsin. I would look for the Toro dealer who has been around the longest and who you feel the most comfortable with. In my area we have been here for 60+ years. We out sell the all dealers and big box stores within a 35 mile radius. Our top selling point is our follow up service. Toro mowers are the same no matter where you buy them. You have to look at who will be there if you have any problems. Also, look at their reviews on line and if you know any landscapers talk to them. This will give you the best idea of who gets top billing in your area. Can’t help you with the moles, as I’m a tech not landscaper.

msollars

Forum Newbie
Threads
While I've got you Rivets...How would the 21381 compare to the newish Honda HRX with the 200CC eng.??

I know you're a Toro guy, but from what I've seen, you know a lot about comparable models.

Thanks,
Matt

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The Honda builds a good unit, have not seen that model. When I’ve had Honda and Toro side by side I think they are about equals, maybe Honda slightly ahead. The main reason I put the Toro in the lead is, higher initial cost and the design of the Honda drives are harder to work on, which lead to high maintainance costs on the Honda. I have a ‘92 Toro, which would be the great grandfather of the 21381, and the only things I have down to it is maintainance, belt and blade twice and drive wheels. I plan on replacing with a 21381 when and if the engine dies.

cruzenmike

Threads
You will find many fans of both Honda and Toro; most of all die-hard!! I had an HRX with the 190cc for 7 years mowing 1/4 acre 1-2x a week in Michigan here without one single problem. After all those years everything worked as it should. Oil still came out clean at the end of every season and considering what it was designed to do, it never let me down. I have friends that only use Toro equipment, and always have and probably always will. They love their equipment. If you are interested in the Toro mower exclusively, I would say to spend the extra money for the Honda engine. The new HRX will certainly mow through thicker, damper grass with ease but that is only due to displacement/hp. In ideal mowing conditions the smaller 160cc Honda in the Toro frame/deck will perform well. I have always like how reliable, smooth, quiet and fuel efficient Honda engines are.

The choice is yours my friend, but int he end, we all have unique experiences with our equipment.

msollars

Forum Newbie
Threads
One more,
I went to look at an 'authorized dealer' (mowers are not their bread and butter) and they had a 20381, but no 21381.
I assumed that this was maybe a previous years model....but i couldn't find much info on any differences between them.
what's new on the 21381 from previous years?

thanks,
Matt

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To my knowledge nothing, but I’m a tech who does sales when needed. Have not seen any differences when working on them. 20381 will be at least a year old, as the 21381 came out last spring. Wouldn’t worry about getting an old model, should even be a bit cheaper, as there was a price increase with the 21381.