Engine John Deere D100 Sitting 2 Years

ModernMode

Threads
My mother has a John Deere D100 mower that has not been started in 2 years. Ran when parked. Has been stored inside. The engine is a Briggs & Stratton Model 31G777. 17.5HP. Engine Family ABSXS 5002VV. I've replaced the battery and sparkplug. Engine turns over easily but won't start.
1. I realize old gas may be an issue but my big concern is when I'm turning it over, fuel sprays out of the right front of the mower. (right front from driver's perspective). Any ideas?
2. Also even though mower is in neutral and parking brake is off, rear wheels will not turn/rotate.
Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
dip the oil.
If it is over the full mark, the float valve is not shutting off the fuel.
That will need to be fixed first then the engine drained & refilled a few times to get rid of the fuel in the sump.
While you are there, put a tap in the fuel line ( if there is not one on the side of the carb).

ModernMode

Threads
dip the oil.
If it is over the full mark, the float valve is not shutting off the fuel.
That will need to be fixed first then the engine drained & refilled a few times to get rid of the fuel in the sump.
While you are there, put a tap in the fuel line ( if there is not one on the side of the carb).

I looked at the dip stick. Oil level looked normal and oil was not dark.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Should be a rod on the back panel of the mower that you pull out to release the transmission drive.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Jack the mower up and see if the wheels turn.
If they turn in opposite direction then the brake has locked on.
Brake might be external & rusted or internal depending upon which tranny is fitted.

Put your hand over the muffler outlet while cranking the engine.
Nothing comes out = stuck valve or a critter making your muffler home.

Pull the blower housing off and check for rat / mice having chewed through the wires to the magneto.
Pull the wire off , crank the engine & check for a spark then replace the wire & try again.
Sparks with wire disconnected but none when connected = duff safety switch.

ModernMode

Threads
So I checked the mower again. Fuel coming out through the air filter when attempting to start. So I'm assuming that some major seal or valve is leaking.

As for the rear wheels, this is a manual transmission so no rod to pull in rear.

gotomow

Threads
If you still have old fuel in there drain it and start out fresh. You will never get it started with old, 2+ year old gas. I'm a little surprised you would even try it like that.

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you still have old fuel in there drain it and start out fresh. You will never get it started with old, 2+ year old gas. I'm a little surprised you would even try it like that.

X 2, attempting to start it with old gas could gum up a valve & get it to hang open. Old gas can cause a lot of costly repairs.

Always get fresh gas, & if something hasn't been turned over in years, I like to put a spoonful of oil down the spark plug hole(s) & get it to lube up the cylinder wall(s). before any rotating.

Threads
Purge the entire fuel system, tank the carb.
Check to see the p-brake isnt frozen.