JD316

Melbadoc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I picked up a JD316 and have been trying to ring it out. Its been idle for about 3 years. I have it pretty well set except now it will run for about 15 minutes and shuts down. If it sits for about 5 minutes it will start up but PTO will not engage. Once it cools all the way down it will run the same cycle.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things I would check first. Next time it stops check to see if you have spark. If no spark I would think you have a coil which is hot shorting or hot open. The coil will work when cold but not after it heats up. The other thing two check is to see if the gas cap vent is plugged. When the unit shuts down, remove the cap and then reinstall it, but leave it loose. If the engine will start and run, the cap is your problem. Let’s get it to start and run before tackling the PTO problem if it still exists.

Melbadoc

Forum Newbie
Threads
The coil did come to mind. I had that problem with and outboard.
I did unscrew the gas cap. Made no difference. I could run the mower at low RPMs and creep it to the barn after I let it cool for a few minutes. It would not accept higher throttle which leads me to think coil.