deck curtain

wizard4878

Threads
so if this topic has been posted before I'm sorry for the repeat, but after search I didn't find anything. Here is my problem, I have a cub xt1 with the mulching kit (not that not having it made any difference) and it throws grass out from under the front of the mower deck and it gets all over me the top of the deck, etc. I have measured and adjusted the deck but it made no difference, so I was wondering if anyone had made some sort of curtain or shield to stop this, or am I the only one having this problem. My previous mower was a wheelhorse/workhorse gt1142 and it did not do this. Really like the way this cub cuts, but getting tired of always having grass clippings clogging up the spindles and all over my legs and shoe's

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
First are you using mulching blades? Typically you'd want to use blades designed to be used with the mulching kit.

Blow-out from the front of the deck, especially the right side, is common when using a mulch kit. Some manufacturers have anti-blowout kits that bolt on. I know that Simplicity and John Deere have them available. You may want to do a search on "anti-blowout kit" to get ideas on what manufacturers do to prevent it.

wizard4878

Threads
First are you using mulching blades? Typically you'd want to use blades designed to be used with the mulching kit.

Blow-out from the front of the deck, especially the right side, is common when using a mulch kit. Some manufacturers have anti-blowout kits that bolt on. I know that Simplicity and John Deere have them available. You may want to do a search on "anti-blowout kit" to get ideas on what manufacturers do to prevent it.

yes, using mulching blades, and it does it with or without using the mulching kit, although it is a bit worse with the mulching plug. I will look in to the blowout kit, thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you sure when you leveled the deck, you have the front 1/4”-3/8” lower than the rear? Also, are you leveling the deck using the blade tips, not the deck itself?

wizard4878

Threads
leveled it from the deck, which is how I've always done it with other mowers and how the local cub dealer said to do it, honestly never heard of doing it from the blades

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Decks should always be leveled from the blade tips. Deck edges are easily bent and sprung, giving an inaccurate reading. Some deck spindles are even set at different heights due to deck engineering. I know that some will say it doesn’t matter and that leveling the deck is much easier than using the blade tips. Leveling the deck using the blade tip will always be more accurate and give you a better cut. The only exception to this rule are the commercial grade, heavy duty Zero toro units. Most of these units have heavy fabricated decks, which are the least susceptible to bending or warping.

cruzenmike

Threads
so if this topic has been posted before I'm sorry for the repeat, but after search I didn't find anything. Here is my problem, I have a cub xt1 with the mulching kit (not that not having it made any difference) and it throws grass out from under the front of the mower deck and it gets all over me the top of the deck, etc. I have measured and adjusted the deck but it made no difference, so I was wondering if anyone had made some sort of curtain or shield to stop this, or am I the only one having this problem. My previous mower was a wheelhorse/workhorse gt1142 and it did not do this. Really like the way this cub cuts, but getting tired of always having grass clippings clogging up the spindles and all over my legs and shoe's

What is the shape of your mulching blades? Are they low lift, wavy or are they serrated on the sails?

wizard4878

Threads
What is the shape of your mulching blades? Are they low lift, wavy or are they serrated on the sails?

they are what came from cub cadet with the mulching plug, however I have purchased and installed gator blades but have not yet used them. The mower had a considerable amount of grass coming out even before the mulching plug and installing it made it worse

cruzenmike

Threads
they are what came from cub cadet with the mulching plug, however I have purchased and installed gator blades but have not yet used them. The mower had a considerable amount of grass coming out even before the mulching plug and installing it made it worse

Gator blades and the mulch plug will perform FAR worse than with the low lift mulchers. The gator blades still have steep sails so they do generate a lot of lift; this is not good for a deck that is closed off. You can try discharging with the gators and the plug removed to see how it cuts and disperses clipping which may be to your liking. Other than what others have mentioned about pitch/level of deck, the only other thing that you can do is slow the drive speed down, ensure that your engine is running at full throttle and never try to cut off more than 1/3 of the clippings.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
leveled it from the deck, which is how I've always done it with other mowers and how the local cub dealer said to do it, honestly never heard of doing it from the blades

Come on,
What cuts the grass the blades or the deck ?
So which should be used to level the deck ?
Fabricated decks are generally flat on the top so the TOP can be used for leveling but a lot have cut outs on the front so you can not use the edges for leveling.
Did you read your owners manual ?
Every one I have ever seen has instructions for leveling the decks USING THE BLADE TIPS .
If you dealer told you to level off the edge of the deck you should be looking for a new dealer.