Having trouble gretting my mower to start

Ngt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone, let me start by saying I'm new to these types of projects, so please bare with me. It's an older troy built 11a-542Q711 mower. I believe it's a Honda motor, from the parts place I've ordered from.

What happened: i was mowing my back yard and accidentally ran my mower out of gas. Filled it up, and started it again. It started right up as usual, first pull, but almost instantly died.

What I've done:

I checked the fuel lines and gas was was going through all of them.

It's getting a spark.

I cleaned the carb and used an air compressor to blow out the lines.

Still wouldn't start.

Replaced the carb and the air filter.

Couldn't find an in line fuel filter, but gas is getting to the carb just fine.

Same thing, not starting up...this is where I'm at.

Something I've noticed is, the choke use to go back to the forward position on its own. Now when i pull it back, try to start it, and it's releases, the spring only pulls it back about half way and then it stops.

I will make a quick video after my son's baseball practice this evening to give you a better idea.

The motor seems to be turning fine when i pull, but it's not firing up.

Any thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ngt

Forum Newbie
Threads

Oaken

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you getting any spark? Will it run on starter fluid? That’s the first few things i usually check. Throttle cable/choke linkage?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First piece of advice,
Dont take a video of the mower holding the camera in one hand while starting with the other.

If the choke does not close all the way & stay there while you are pulling the mower will never start.
If it is cable controlled, check for the control wire having slipped through the anchor clamp.
If you are in the habit of folding down the handles then that can put a kink in the cable which also prevents the choke staying closed.