Repairs Mcculloch T26 Trimmer won't start - ignition problem ?

sirbsky bass

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Mcculloch T26 Trimmer won't start - ignition problem ?
I bougt a Mcculloch t26cs weed eater about two years ago. Only used ist about 10hours to now.
Yesterday it worked good for about 10 minutes, then died while trimming with a puff sound.
Won't start anymore.
Fuel and carb seem OK, replaced spark plug. Spark plug gets wet when trying to start.
Opened it, measured the Kill switch, is ok. (switches from no current flow to flow when pressed)
Must be the ignition module, but i'm not sure it's the faulty part.

I used a multimeter and measured the ignition module between the Spark plug connector and the first connector about 18 kohm and between teh spark plug connector and the second connector about 3 kohm.
Between the two connectors with the kill switch attached there is a little current flowing, when im pressing the kill switch, it switches to no resistance.

I'm not sure if it is the ignition module, has anyone experienced similar problems ?
Mcculloch part no for the module is 585565501

appreciate your help.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would be looking at the ignition module, have someone who knows how to check it, or just replace it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Numbers off a multimeter that was less than $ 200 are meaningless.
And because of the trigger chip in the ignition module, are meaningless because of the chip potted into the coil.
This is why the coil is a module and not a coil.
The secondary resistance , coil kill wire terminal to spark plug seems reasonable +/- 50% which is about the accuracy of a cheap meter reading ohms.
Pull the kill wire off the module.
If you get a spark then the wires are shorting to ground somewhere.
If you get no spark then the module is toast.
They are not repairable.

sirbsky bass

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your posts,

i'm gonna buy a new ignition module.

Do you know how many mm the gap between module and flywheel magnet has to be ?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
0.015in should be fine

An index or business card is a good gap tool. Remove the plug, rotate until magnetic attraction pulls coil and card tight to flywheel, tighten the coil screws. Rotate flywheel until magnetic attraction eases, remove card, rotate a couple of revolutions and ensure nothing drags or contacts flywheel.