5.5 HP briggs

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I dont know the model number yet, its a Horizontal shaft, 5.5 horse briggs OHV,
My brother is dropping it off tomorrow, it runs, smokes like a forest fire blue smoke, then sorta clears up, and then smokes more, then clears up then smokes.
Im thinking Rings and Valve seals. Im sure i can figure it out, any other input from the symptoms would be appreciated.
:wink:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
May need valve guides. Most of these little Briggs engines just use bored holes in the aluminum block. Briggs does make replacement bronze valve guides but you have to bore the block. You can tell when you get the valve springs off if it needs guides or not.

edit: I missed the OHV part. I don't know whether those have replaceable valve guides or not.

Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Depends on the type engine. An un-sleeved engine might be suffering from lack of lubrication in today's newer oils. If it's an IC engine it might be just wear and tear, or a bad air filter letting in dirt, scoring the cylinder. But first just make sure the oil level is correct.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Model # is 110412 0154 E1
I downloaded the manual for it from briggs, Oil level is correct, to top of the bottom fill hole (specified in manual) It seems to have decent compre ssion, spark plug is oily after running.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Okay, head is off, cylinder is alot better shape than expected, no scoring what so ever.
i can move the piston side to side, revealing about a 2 too 3 thousandths gap between piston and wall? whaddya think? Normal? or not, assuming not.
valves are pretty oily, more than what any other engine would have.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like you had a blown head gasket. Any pics of it?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Head gasket was in good shape, the valve seal looked dry rotted almost, it had tiny little cracks in it.. Never seen one like it.
The intake valve was very very oily, exhaust valve not as much.
I'll probably order the top end gasket set for it, and waiting on a reply on what to do with the rings, and piston movement.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
How loose is the intake valve in its guide?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The valve fit in nice and tight. Although it does have a place or to where it looks pretty Wore.

I'm laying in bed with a cold right now and can't be up and go take pics.
I know, poor pitiful me.:laughing:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Briggs is being no help in this, i gave them my model # and code date, and SPECIFICALLY asked them for piston to cylinderwall clearance, ring gap, and standard bore size, they reply to my email with torque specs. :confused2:
If any one knows these, let me have it!