GCV160LAN N5R Oil Capacity

Russ2251

Threads
Should be able to add oil until it shows full on dipstick.

McB

Threads
0.6 lit. [ 0.63 u.s. qt. ]

Thanks, your reference of .63 u.s. qt. works out to be just over 20 oz. Im repairing this for an owner that does not have any documentation and I am not a Honda person. What reference are you using? Everything I have is based on downloading manuals from the internet. The obvious answer is check the dipstick, bad design for doing this and the difference between 12 and 20 ounces is 8 ounces. That is a big difference.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's why it's all the more important to use the dipstick, no matter how inconvenient, rather than adding a fixed amount of oil.

McB

Threads
That's why it's all the more important to use the dipstick, no matter how inconvenient, rather than adding a fixed amount of oil.

The dip stick is not inconvenient, it is just a bad design. The is no High/Low indication, the dipstick is very short, and based on the different fixed amounts I have seen I am trying to get close before I check.
I always use the dipstick, some are better than others. Thanks, I am going to add slowly and check frequently!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just a note that usually for Honda engines you check the oil level without screwing the dipstick back in, just resting it on the top of the threads. Same with Kohler and Kawasaki engines.

McB

Threads
Just a note that usually for Honda engines you check the oil level without screwing the dipstick back in, just resting it on the top of the threads. Same with Kohler and Kawasaki engines.

The quantity of oil is still in question, the level of oil question I determined to be a broken (Dipstick) 15650-Z0L-000 Gauge Assy.- Oil Level. Which resulted in the owner over filling the engine by a lot.
0331191053[1].jpg

McB

Threads
Thanks, I had to stare at the dipstick for a while before I noticed. Hope the other end is not in the engine!