diode wire assembly

Threads
I am trying to keep a 14hp vanguard running and I need to know where the diode wire assembly connects to it has both magnetos and the wire when I got the motor it just comes out of the housing and does not connect to anything, someone told me it goes to the ignition switch but there are 3 prongs in use batt, ign, and ground I am guessing, please be kind I am new to this repair stuff,

Threads
thank you for the reply those diagrams all show 5 or 6 pole ign switches the one I have only has 4 will that not work??? it has acc, ign, batt and one in the center that is not marked I assume is a ground....

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
thank you for the reply those diagrams all show 5 or 6 pole ign switches the one I have only has 4 will that not work??? it has acc, ign, batt and one in the center that is not marked I assume is a ground....

Post your machines make, model we might be able to locate a wiring diagram for ya .. see example..

GET INFO.JPG wiring diagrams are USUALLY in the Owners & Service Manuals

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Diode is for DC volts should go to (B) on key switch then onto battery.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And test the diode before you hook it up.
There is a reason it was not connected.A bad diode will send AC to the battery and kill it stone dead in no time flat

Tinkerer200

Threads
I am trying to keep a 14hp vanguard running and I need to know where the diode wire assembly connects to it has both magnetos and the wire when I got the motor it just comes out of the housing and does not connect to anything, someone told me it goes to the ignition switch but there are 3 prongs in use batt, ign, and ground I am guessing, please be kind I am new to this repair stuff,

Wait a minute - I am unclear here what he is saying. IF he says that the wire with diodes in it is coming from the two magnetos he sure as heck does not want to connect it to any battery source. IF that is what he is saying, it goes to ground terminal.

Walt

Threads
I went ahead and ordered the 692318 ignition switch with 5 prong and then will attack it again it seems the wiring diagram in the first reply shows 5 prong wiring if it doesn't work then it will be back to the replies here

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Daniel,

When talking about alternators it is essential to include a photo of the plug and the wires .
Briggs use different colour wires and plugs to code their alternators so we need to see the colour & shape of the plug plus the colour of the wires.
People also call parts the wrong name.
So magneto coils get called alternators and the diode between them goes to the M terminal on the ignition switch.

You mentioned a plural as in alternatorS and no mower has 2 alternators.

Some call the rectifier a diode ( half right because there are 4 to 6 in there )

Then there is the low power alternator that has a single diode which supplies pulsed clipped DC back to the battery.

We really have no idea which you are talking about.
A 294447 could have any one fitted unless the person answering has access to the Briggs Power Portal we do not know what the 1155-E1 specification was fitted with

Last edited: