30 hp Kohler Oil Filter

DAlawns

Forum Newbie
Threads
I saw a thread on one of the forums about using a motorcraft 400S filter on his Kohler for the cost was 4.?? verses 10.?? I would think that there may be a lot of other issues like mesh size flow rates pressure differences that might harm the engine I wish I could remember the Forum I would ask these questions there. Just because a filter fits on a machine doesn't mean its ok to use or am I wrong on this?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some of the oil filter manufacturers web sites have a feature which shows every application that uses a particular filter. In some cases, you have to cross-reference the filter in question to the equivalent filter of the manufacturer.

I looked on the Wix site for their 51516 filter (same as 400S Motocraft) and they do not list any Kohler engines as using that filter. There are Onan engines, but no Kohlers.

The lengths we won't go to to save six bucks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
One of the primary differences between auto filters and lawn mower engine filters is the bypass valve is built into the filter for lawn mower engines.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is on spin-on automotive filters, too. Cartridge filters are about the only ones that don't.

DAlawns

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank yawl for the replies, thank you Cpuruis that Wix site is very handy thank you!