Tecumseh H70 When I rototill it will die and shoot out black smoke out of the muffler

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Tecumseh H70 When I rototill it will die and shoot out black smoke out of the muffler
Tecumseh used at least three, maybe more, different carbs on the H70 models. If you didn’t purchase your new carb using the correct spec number, you may have gotten the wrong carb for your engine. Can you give us the spec number off your engine and all numbers and info you have on the new carb you purchased. We might be able to see if you have the correct carb for your engine or which carb you need.

Wikkyfolt

Threads
  • / Tecumseh H70 When I rototill it will die and shoot out black smoke out of the muffler
I didn't adjust the points stuff, I meant the carb sorry, the one at the bottom of the float bowl and if that doesn't work then I'll focus on points. However, I can't get it to start after I adjusted the float bowl jet (I think that's the main jet) and I can't find the sweet spot I had it at, that is what I mean by it won't start now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go back to the vendors ebay page and click on "See other items"
Then have a look at what turns up.
If all of his stuff is mower/engine related then there is a good chance he knows what he is selling and it has come from a reputable supplier as servicable items.
OTOH if he is selling everything from condomes to X-ray curtains then there is a 99% chance it will be junk because he is nothing more than a surplus reseller.
So it could be a simple over production or all the parts rejected as being defective.

Wikkyfolt

Threads
Got the numbers: H70-130215D 8ER-6147D IMG_20190403_223414.jpg IMG_20190403_223408.jpg Also on the bottom of the carb it has: Lauson-power product and two small numbers that's 50 Or 05 not quite sure what way its supposed to be read

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The original carb for that engine is part number 631912, which is no longer available. When I look at the carb you purchased, it is not a direct substitute. I have tried to locate a carb for you, but have not found one I like. Couple of questions. When you replaced the carb, did you replaced the gasket between the carb and manifold, plus between the manifold and block? Wouldn’t be the first time gaskets look good, but leak. Also, with the new carb, did you go through the adjusting procedure I posted?

Wikkyfolt

Threads
It came with a gasket, I attempted the adjustment procedure and miserably failed, lol, it won't even start now, so I need to know a working main jet adjustment so I can get it running at least and try it again, I'll look for the gasket by the block and the manifold, I didn't see if that one was good.

Wikkyfolt

Threads
Also, the new carb looks identical to the old one

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

I've found some carbs aren't worth rebuilding (due to corrosion worn choke/throttle shafts etc). On eBay i did a search on "carburetor for a tecumseh H70 engine" and all sorts came up.

I replaced the carb on my troybilt tiller (4 hp) with a cheap eBay carb and it runs fine.

Regards

Jeff