42" Husqvarna with Kawasaki engine

Regwal

Threads
You can do a makeshift load test with a voltmeter. Preferably with alligator clips but a manservant will do.

Watch the voltage as you crank the engine. If it drops below 10 volts or thereabouts, the battery is about to bite the dust.

I had already dismissed a bad battery through checking as mentioned. I freed my hoist up today so mower could be lifted for inspection of the drive belts, etc. I wasn't expecting to find anything. You guys are not going to believe what was found. The belt for the mower had jumped the pully and was up around the pto clutch, most of the way. It is binding the turning of engine crank shaft. I've been at it for about two hours and it has not freed up yet. Didn't want to remove the pto, and I don't know why so that will be my next move, then a new belt. Guess I just like checking the hard stuff first.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bottom line is finding the issue..:thumbsup: That is something else.

I'd have my razor knife cutting on that belt.

Regwal

Threads
Bottom line is finding the issue..:thumbsup: That is something else.

I'd have my razor knife cutting on that belt.

Never saw this problem before and not sure at this point I can remove the belt from where it is wedged. I'll get back on it Monday afternoon with maybe a picture. Had to cut belt on each side of clutch to remove and that might have been the easy part! Somehow belt got under the brake mechanism and I can't budge wedged piece a smidgen. I'll probably damage clutch anyway so planning on replacing it at this point.:mur::mur:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeoww !!!

Regwal

Threads
Well, is all back together and everything is fine. I hope the clutch wasn't damaged through all this. Getting the belt out of the PTO brake was almost too much but finally came out by clamping on V-grip pliers and beating with a hammer. I wanted to post a photo of the problem but getting photo moved from PC to forum was just too involved. It was something to see and trying to figure out how it happened was almost beyond me. I have decided a frayed belt probably cause it all. :thumbsup:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Great you got it sorted. That's one for the books.

Woundedknees

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hmm... Running mower for the price of a drive belt and a couple hours elbow grease sounds sorta like a bargain!