KT740 Break in

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Hustler SD54 has a Kohler KT740 engine.
The Hustler manual mentions break in procedures are detailed in the engine Service Manual.
Nope.
Nada..............

Somewhere on the www I saw a mention that the oil and filter should be changed after the first 5 hours of operation.
Elsewhere I have found that Kohler runs their engines at the factory, so no break in is required.

What sayeth the collective wisdom of the crowd??

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I believe the running opinion of the engine manufacturers at this time is change the oil after first 5 hours on engines without oil filter With filter then first oil change is normal scheduled maintenance which is like 50-100 hours depending on use. The thought is the filter will catch the break in debris and therefore is not a problem being in the engine. Auto manufacturers don't change their oil filters after the first few hours or miles.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm old school. Oil is cheap. Change it after the first mowing, along with the filter if there is one. Manufacturing processes vary quite a bit even under the best practices. Still some human element in those factories. My engine would be the one with some schrapnel left in the block.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recon I'd best change my oil.......................