JD 425 54" deck hanger broke

weathda

Threads
My wife was mowing with the 425 this weekend and about three laps around the yard, it sounded like she hit a stump. Turns out one of the front mount ears broke clear out of the deck. I think the pin had come loose and was jack hammering the ear. Anyone else ever had this happen to them?

attachment.php

Attachments

• DeckHanger.JPG
    DeckHanger.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
not uncommon do a few of them every season.
The welds start to crack from excessive vibrations the you smack into some thing hard and that is what happens.
I just weld it back on and weld a brace plate behind it to strengthen that section of the deck/
If you check the rear hangers, they will most likely be cracks at the welds as well.
Oxy welding is a better option here aas it heats a larger area so you end up with a softer joit with is less prone to future cracking.

pay close attention to your blades.
They can get blunt or bits break off easily then cause the deck to vibrate.

weathda

Threads
Thanks Bert. The LH side looked solid. I did exactly as you mentioned on Saturday. Took a plate and welded the plate to the back side of the deck and then welded the old bracket on front and back. I mowed a couple of hours and it seems like it's going to hold. Last year I did find a loose stud for the gear box mount. I had to weld the stud to the bottom of the deck. It did great all last season.

The blades were new oregon mulching blades. Only one had a small plug out of it from hitting the ear. Hoping this deck will get me by for a season or two.