Cub cadet Ltd 1042 won’t move long first post

Paulinpa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all first time poster don’t spend a lot of time in forums

I have a cub cadet LTX 1042 that came with our farm mower seems to be in good shape used a couple of times about two years ago and while my Wife was mowing she threw the belt I went out to retrieve the mower and found it was smoking horribly from under the hood. I decided to put it in the barn and use my other mower.

Fast forward a couple years I decided a couple of days ago to have it hauled off and retrieved it from the barn, just for fun and after reading several post about the Kohler courage 20 I decided to try and start it. Much to my amazement it started right up and ran like a champ after looking at the valve cover I determined it was leaking and dropping a lot of oil on the muffler.

Being that the engine was not blown up as I originally thought I decided to resurrect it. Ordered all of the parts I felt it needed, oil filter air filter deck belt spark plug At Cetera. When we Retrieved it from the barn I pull the tranny override in order to push it.. I pulled off the deck and all of the other parts to inspect before replacement and ordered my parts. In trying to push it into my shop I found the rear wheels would not move.

Did a bunch of research before wasting peoples time and checked all the normal things with no results. If you jack the mower up the wheels turn one goes forward one goes back so I assume the brakes are not stuck I have fussed with the tranny override lever on under the mower to no avail.

Mower moves about 6 inches either direction and then stops it is not under power as engine is a part waiting for filters and valve cover gasket

can anyone enlighten me to what this might be I have read several posts about similar situations with no final outcome being that I seem to have a good running and looking mower I would like to keep it if possible as a back up the only thing I wondered is if it needs to be running because it is hydrostatic

Sorry for the long first post and I appreciate any input you might have

Cheers

Paulinpa

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK for what it’s worth I just fixed it with half a can of brake clean I had read on another forum to hose the assembly down with brake clean so I did that worked the pedal a few times nothing, so while standing there trying to decide what dumpster to put it in I heard a loud click walked over to the mower it pushes fine very odd I have been working on cars and airplanes and tractors for ever and I don’t recall seeing brakes stock them on but the tires will move when jacked up anyway maybe this will help someone else got a love brake clean

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW, your assumption about the brakes in the first post was 100% wrong.
Mower brakes work on the layshaft, not the wheels.
As such they lock the diff, the exact same way as putting an automatic box doe s when you select Park.
So the wheels turn in opposite directions.
If the vehicle /mower is on the ground then if the wheels can only turn in opposite direction , you are not going anywhere.
That is how the brakes work and not moving on the ground & turning opposite direction when in the air is how you check for a stuck brake.

about 1/2 of them are external to the trans and they are prone to rusting or getting debris jambed into the mechanism.