What would you Buy?

rlpickering13

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you had a neighborhood yard roughly 3/4 of an acre with Bermuda Grass and a slight slope what type of riding mower would you buy. The most important feature is getting the best possible cut. Let’s say money is not a factor. I have never owned a riding mower before so I want to use this to start the evaluation process.

helomech

Threads
Do you have lots of obstacles in your yard, if you do, you will probably want a zero turn. If your yard is open, then a regular mower would probably do you better. If money is no object then get a commercial quality mower.

rlpickering13

Forum Newbie
Threads
The yard does not have that many obstacles. A few trees, but they are outlined with pine straw beds so no really tight areas. I have been researching the John Deere X350 with a 42” deck. It’s roughly a $3,500 mower with bagger or mulch kit, but am curious about the cut quality and if there are better options out there. I currently cut with a Honda HRX217 and it does a great job but I have always wanted a riding mower.

helomech

Threads
Someone will be along soon to help you with models, but IMO if you don't need a zero turn, I would not get a zero turn. I see these guys mowing huge pastures in their yard with a zero turn and it really seems weird to me. For the price of the zero turn he could have gotten a better normal mower for that purpose. I have a Jacobsen 4wd, for me a zero turn would not make it on my place. Way to rough, it would get stuck constantly, so would a normal mower. I had to get one I could lift the deck off the ground to drive over rough terrain, washouts and ditches.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The best cut will be from a reel mower that is why golf courses & race tracks use them.
After that mowers with timed overlapping blades will be streets ahead of any normal mower, ZTR or Tractor style.
The articulated mowers are particulary good.
Stiga park
Husqvarna Rider Pro

Now if money is really no problem the Walkers are fabulous and great for bagging.

Timmed blades are a bit more expensive to make so the sales are very low because low mower price & short mowing hours are far more important than a really good cut.

Most of the regular brand names no longer make timed decks.

All of the 3 mowers listed are out front decks which makes them really easy to use.

Down side is a fine cut is not a rough cut and none of these will handle 18" high grass.