GCV160 ACS issue?

thejohnfist

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings all!

I'll give a quick rundown before I begin.

- Full carb cleaned in ultrasonic unit 3 times (approx 15-20 minutes time in cleaner unit)
- New fuel
- New air filter
- New thermowax
- Spark plug inspected, considered to be of good condition.
- Unit is a Toro of approximately 10 years old.

Love this mower, had it quite a while with nearly zero issues. This season the thing started to surge instead of idling nicely. So, I pulled the carb, cleaned it up, put it back on, problem solved. It started right up, ran fine. I shut it down, put it away, and the next day it had leaked all of the fuel out. Figuring I did something wrong, I removed and reassembled the carb. This seemed to fix the leak, but now the thing will not start as it should. Seems that it isn't choking, as it will eventually start but takes 5-15 pulls. Normally only taking two pulls.

I pulled it apart *again* last night, testing the choke lever. It seems to be fine, maybe slightly sticky, but otherwise operable.

I've also noticed that sometimes when attempting to crank, fuel will come out of the intake. Not sure if that's normal from it not starting properly, or a sign of a different issue. I was trying to avoid getting a new carb, but all this time invested might just dictate replacement. Does a carb come with a new choke lever setup? Do I even need one?

I'm hoping to avoid throwing parts at it by reaching out to this community. :)

thejohnfist

Forum Newbie
Threads
Based on everything I've seen, and that link, I think something may be wrong with my float valve. Either I put it in incorrectly (somehow) or it needs replaced. I'm definitely getting the excess flooding now.

Guess I'll tear into it again this evening. :D

I'll update tomorrow.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve seen those carbs for as cheap as $15. Please post the model and serial numbers off the Toro. From them I can give you the cost of a new carb. Might be cheaper and easier way to solve your problem.

thejohnfist

Forum Newbie
Threads
Too late, already pulled the correct carb part # and ordered one. $23. Mower started on the first pull.

Not sure why cleaning up the old one wasn't working, but that seems to have done it.

Thanks all!